Author Topic: Can anyone suggest me the hardware for maze solver robot?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline psurya1994Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Can anyone suggest me the hardware for maze solver robot?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
We are planning to make a maze solver robot. Want your suggestion on the hardware we can use. We are planning to implement the flood fill algorithm. Expecting you to suggest the following:
Which microcontroller would be good? (we are used to arduino)
What motors should we use?(we ave to get a perfect 90 degree turn)
Other hardware, such as sensors.

Thank You,
Surya

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Can anyone suggest me the hardware for maze solver robot?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
Which microcontroller would be good? (we are used to arduino)
If You are most comfortable with Arduino, then use Arduino.

What motors should we use?(we ave to get a perfect 90 degree turn)
Any DC motor with encoder will do (including continuous rotation servos).

Other hardware, such as sensors.
I would use something like sonar or IR distance finder to determine whether there's a wall in front or not.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
Thank You :)
I would like to know more about dc motors with encoder, and how we can use them to get a exact 90 degree turn.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »
I would like to know more about dc motors with encoder, and how we can use them to get a exact 90 degree turn.
Simple DIY shaft encoder normally consists of striped disk (black and white) and a pair of IR Emitter/Detector. When wheel turns, IR Emitter/Detector pair outputs voltage (high or low) depending on which colour it detects on the striped disk, so if Your disk has 360 stripes (meaning 360 transitions from white to black in one rotation). To make robot turn 90° You know encoder has to output 90 "clicks" from each wheel, that's what You look for and stop motors spinning after 90 clicks has been detected. Does that make sense?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Ya. But my wheel has only 5 stripes. And that wouldn't be very accurate. Any other meathod?

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:47:16 AM »
It's not the wheel spokes You have to count. What You need to do it to actually make a disk with stripes. That disk normally gets attached to motor shaft, where wheel gets attached to gearbox shaft. So, if You have motor with gearbox increasing torque (and reducing RPM) by 30, then for one wheel rotation You get 30 striped disk rotations, that sounds like a very good resolution to me  ;D

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
Okay, Thank You soo much.  :)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list