go away spammer

Author Topic: Creating workspace for WebbotLib Studio in Ubuntu Mate 14.10  (Read 2942 times)

Offline HopdingTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hello all. I have been lurking around on SoR for a good while. It is a great site with a lot of great people sharing information! I have found it to be a great help, so thanks to everybody who contributes to SoR.

That aside, I have a question regarding WebbotLib Studio. I am running Ubuntu Mate 14.10. I downloaded WebbotLib Studio using the downloader utility http://webbot.org.uk/iPoint/48.page. When I run the .jar file, a window pops up asking me to set a new, or find an existing workspace. This is the first time I have used WebbotLib Studio, so I try to create a new workspace. I am trying to create the workspace folder under my home folder. However, I cannot advance past this window because the OK button is disabled. I cannot click it even after setting up the location for the new workspace.

I can enable the button if I set a path for an existing workspace. I don't actually have an existing workspace, of course, but if I set a random path it will at least enable the button so that I can click on it. I then select the radio button for creating a new workspace and click the OK button, but nothing happens.

In addition to Ubuntu Mate, I have Windows 8.1 installed on my machine. I was able to successfully install WebbotLib Studio on Windows with no issues.

I hope that somebody can help me out here. I am looking forward to using Webbot in place of the Arduino IDE, but I will need to be able to run it on Ubuntu Mate.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Creating workspace for WebbotLib Studio in Ubuntu Mate 14.10
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
 ;D Hello, and welcome to the forum!  ;D
I may have the answer to your question in my post in the miscellaneous
section, titled, Analyzing the Axon: Coding, Construction, and Contraptions.
Only for the windows portion, not for Linux distros.(yet  ;) ) It is taking me awhile just to
get a hex file made to program the Axon.  :P  There are a lot of computer configurations and files
that need attention, in order to program the Axon. I have started the post, in hopes that it will
help everybody starting on the Axon(especially me), and any questions that could be asked,
will be responded to in my post. Never give up, Never surrender!  8)

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »
You have selected the wrong directory, it should be "/home/user" where 'user' is your Ubuntu login username, ie: the user you are logged into. (My folder would be, say, "/home/voyager2", yours might be "/home/hopding", etc)
The "/home" folder might not be writable on your *buntu but your actual home folder (above) should be.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:35:14 PM by voyager2 »
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:18 AM »
;D Hello, and welcome to the forum!  ;D
I may have the answer to your question in my post in the miscellaneous
section, titled, Analyzing the Axon: Coding, Construction, and Contraptions.
Only for the windows portion, not for Linux distros.(yet  ;) ) It is taking me awhile just to
get a hex file made to program the Axon.  :P  There are a lot of computer configurations and files
that need attention, in order to program the Axon. I have started the post, in hopes that it will
help everybody starting on the Axon(especially me), and any questions that could be asked,
will be responded to in my post. Never give up, Never surrender!  8)

Thanks for the response mklrobo! I checked out your post, but I didn't see anything that pertained to my specific problem.

You have selected the wrong directory, it should be "/home/user" where 'user' is your Ubuntu login username, ie: the user you are logged into. (My folder would be, say, "/home/voyager2", yours might be "/home/hopding", etc)
The "/home" folder might not be writable on your *buntu but your actual home folder (above) should be.

Thanks, voyager2. I should have mentioned that I have tried a number of different file paths in addition to "/home". I have tried "/home/andrew" (my actual home folder), "/home/andrew/webbot", "/home/andrew/genericNewFolder", and I even tried straight up "/", to name but a few. None of the paths seem to affect it, though.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
I tried going into the permissions of all of the .jar files in the same folder as WebbotStudio.jar and giving them all permission to be executed as a program, but to no avail. I also tried running the program with OpenJDK 7 and standard Java 7 from Oracle, neither made any difference. I didn't have high hopes, though, because I was able to run WebbotStudio just fine on Windows with Java 8.

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
Works for me on xubuntu 15.04, hmm... if you think this is a bug you should contact Mr Webbot. The only other thing i can think of would be a corrupted Studio file (ie: redownload and try again).

You can also try copying your workspace folder from your Win8.1 machine to your MATE machine via USB, network, etc.
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list