Author Topic: Display force sensor data on display  (Read 2572 times)

Offline bkfranklin22Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Display force sensor data on display
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
Hello, I am new to robotics and so therefore I do not know to much about what works and doesn't.

I am wanting to have a small force sensor send information to a 2 or 3 digit display. I don't want to display the direct numbers from the sensor though I want to be able to manipulate the data. Say for instant the sensor measures a value from 0 to 400. I want to take say a range from 350 to 400 to displayed as 8 or 08. As the range decreases I want the number to decrease on the display. Is this possible with basic robot parts? Also I would like for this to be a portable application where it does not have to connected to a computer. I would supply the power supply.

I know you can buy the force sensor kits with the sensor, control board cable, sensor cable, and resistor board for pretty cheap. From there you connect it to a control board that then connects to your computer and you can then see the read out of the force sensor data. Once again I am new to all of this so be nice if you see something in this that is completely off the wall.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Display force sensor data on display
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Almost any micro-controller with a LCD display can do this.
Typically the Analog output of the force sensor is feed into an ADC input on the u-controller. You write code to read the ADC and then do what ever conversion you wish and output to the display.

There is information in the "Robot Tutorials" above about u-controllers, ADCs and programming. Start by read them.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you soo much!

I think I will buy the Pololu Orangutan Robot Controller since it has a lcd screen on it. So after that the only things I will need are: sensor, power supply, programming adapter, usb cable, programming software. Right?

A quick question. Does a basic force sensor hold its value after it is disconnected? Say I disconnect the sensor and then set something on the sensor that reads a 100 from a sensor scale of 0-400. When I plug the sensor back up and keep the object on the sensor will I get a reading of 100 or does the sensor take its first reading as its 0 point? Thanks.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
The Orangutan looks like it should fit your requirements and get you started using micro-controllers.

I don't know much about force sensors. Is there a particular one you are thinking of buying? Can you post a link to it?
We can then take a look at the data sheet and application info.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Here is the link to the sensor: http://www.robotshop.com/phidgets-thin-force-sensor.html

Any suggestions on a programming software for beginners? I have some programming skills but I am no savant. Thanks

Get Your Ad Here