go away spammer

Author Topic: Help Me Get Started Please!  (Read 2476 times)

Offline teynonTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help Me Get Started Please!
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
Ok, so here's the situation.

1) I have never done anything with robotics. I have no idea where to start. I have found a few things online that say things like the "$85 robot" and other things like that, but it's a little hard for me because of the next condition I am about to tell you about.

2) I am currently deployed to Iraq (as of August), and have a year here. I want to learn as much stuff as possible. I don't have much access to the products to begin building and learning.

What I am looking to do:
1) Learn as much about robotics as I can. I want to build robots, tear them down, and build new ones while i'm here. I plan on documenting what I am doing as well.
2) I plan on learning about Robotics, Electronics, and Mechanical in general.
3) When I return home, I plan on buying a crappy car so I can tear it down and learn how to take it apart / put it together.
4) The way all this stuff pulls together, is I would like to come up with all sorts of crazy inventions and wouldn't mind applying cool features to my car, home, etc that perhaps only I have ever done before.

What I have:
1) Time
2) Decent income
3) I am a professional web programmer and I have experience in C++ and a few other programming languages.

What I am hoping you guys or girls can help me with:
1) Resources for learning about robotics.
2) Good tutorials or hands on experiments for creating robotics.
3) Ideally a care package style robotics kit. Say I want to try to build a particular robot, I could pay for you to collect those materials and ship them to me so I can learn how to put it together.

Any and all help will absolutely be appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Offline kd5kfl

• Helpful? 1
Re: Help Me Get Started Please!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
study:

servos, linear actuators, PWM
motor controllers, H bridge et cetera
embedded microprocessors, microcontrollers
video over IP
machining

crappy car: baja bug.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »
For all of the tutorials kd5kfl mentioned plus more go to the SoR home page and sift through and read all of the tutorials, there are alot and al very help full

They range from electronics, builing materials, mechanics and admins robots can even be a good way to go for ideas.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/

Offline MangoBot

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
    • BeginneRobot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
the recommended tutorials are very helpful, and the $50 robot is one of the most well explained tutorials, and will help you learn a lot, and from there you will be able to undestand more advanced or less clear tutorials

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
yes, the $50 robot is the best robot to start with. A good starting platform.

Get Your Ad Here