go away spammer

Author Topic: Omni-Wheel Grip  (Read 7628 times)

Offline JoMoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Omni-Wheel Grip
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »
I'm currently in the process of designing the mechanical side of 2(extremely similar) robots to take part in the RoboCup Junior soccer competition. As part of this my team will be using Omni-Directional wheels. However, the wheels seem to use plastic grips, and I am concerned about the traction these will have. Has anyone on here had any experience with plastic omni-wheels and their traction?

I'm specifically looking at these wheels atm:

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R98-4CM-POLY-ROLLER-3.html

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R77-4CM-ROLLER-3.html

or very similar wheels.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Omni-Wheel Grip
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
I had the same problem with my Fuzzy robot:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_omni_wheel.shtml

Get the polyurethane type, as quoted from my omni-wheel tutorial:

You must also be concerned with wheel material. I originally built this omni-wheel robot using omni-wheels made entirely out of plastic - but apparently plastic was too smooth and the wheels were not getting much ground traction. Instead you should make sure the small peripheral wheels are made out of some high traction material, such as rubber or polyurethane. After realizing this mistake and getting new high traction wheels, the results greatly improved by several orders of magnitude. I used this omni wheel for my robot.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
the orange ones are nylon and have no traction.

the black ones are poly and would provide better traction.

Maybe if you roughed up the surface of the poly, it would have even better traction.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
I had the same problem with my Fuzzy robot:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_omni_wheel.shtml

Get the polyurethane type, as quoted from my omni-wheel tutorial:

You must also be concerned with wheel material. I originally built this omni-wheel robot using omni-wheels made entirely out of plastic - but apparently plastic was too smooth and the wheels were not getting much ground traction. Instead you should make sure the small peripheral wheels are made out of some high traction material, such as rubber or polyurethane. After realizing this mistake and getting new high traction wheels, the results greatly improved by several orders of magnitude. I used this omni wheel for my robot.

So much cheaper then the poly NARP wheels from acroname!!  XD

Offline adra

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi,
I am planning to use omni-drive wheels in my robotic-forklift which is my final project at school. However i have some questions that may lead problems in future.

First of all, I should mention that time will be a huge problem as well as strict restrictions on design changes, so i must decide on the type of the system at the very beginning and it wont be possible -ever- to change it..

From the first sight, although omni drives will contribute alot with point turn and multi axial driving which are again design restrictions for the project, i am concerned about the traction. I mean it looks like friction occurs with large amounts, so will it be possible to use omni-drive with heavy weights? The prototype is asked to be 1:5 scale with at least 200kg capacity.

Also it seems to be very trouble to dealing with the PIC part of the project. I should admit i am amateur on this area for the time being. And again from the very first look PIC part of the omni-wheel drivers frightens me for now. Should i be afraid really? :)

By the way it would be great to see some suggestions of source regarding technical details.. :)

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:25:10 AM by adra »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list