Author Topic: Gripper and tool  (Read 1699 times)

Offline EXOP1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Gripper and tool
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
Hi!

I need to know how to pick up a tool with a 2 finger gripper. I have the position of the tool, what should I do to pick it up? For example, are there any mathematical formulas (of course, but names)? Can you give a suggestion of how to start?

Thanks!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Gripper and tool
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
What you're looking for is probably "inverse kinematics" to solve for how to get a chain of effectors (effectively, an arm) to end up at a particular coordinate in space.
I recommend being strong in trigonometry and linear algebra before starting into inverse kinematics, as the math will get in your way if you're not.

Offline EXOP1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
If I have the position and orientation of the tool relative to the manipulator's hand, is the next step to just lower the arm to the tool and then grip it? Does the gripper have algebraic or mathematical relationships that I need to consider before I try it?  Thanks for the help btw.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
You need to align the gripper, so that the axis of grip (line between the two gripper fingers) lines up with the axis of the tool, and the main plane of the gripper is horizontal (in the same plane as the tool.) Then you can lower the gripper, and make the fingers tighten. You need either force sensors, or very accurate measurements, or grippers designed for significant slop, to avoid locking up the actuators of the gripper fingers when they stop against the tool.

Get Your Ad Here