Author Topic: Programmer cable question(50$ robot tutorial)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline sp33d0Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Programmer cable question(50$ robot tutorial)
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
READ THIS POST before continuing!!! I designed the programmer header for an older programmer version, so chances are you will need to convert it to the new 6 pin header. It is easier to wire, it just requires a bit more of thought. Just check the number of pins on your programmer cable to know if you need 6 pins or 10 pins.

OK I was working on the 50$ robot tutorial and I had started to solder the circuit board when I read this note. Call me a newbie but when i ordered the parts for the robot I did not find anywhere it asking for a programmer cable. First, what is a programmer cable, what does is do, what does is mean 10 pins, 6 pins, and where can I get one in the USA for cheap. Also because I have already started to solder the circuit board does that mean I should get a 10 pin or a 6 pin.
Thanks,
sp33d0

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Programmer cable question(50$ robot tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
First of all, the programmer allows you to connect your robot to your computer via a usb or serial port and use certain software, (either AVR Studio 4 or that and PonyProg - depending on which programmer you choose) to program your robot.  without a programmer your robot is useless.

Second, there are two types of "programmers" you can use to program your robot - both are mentioned under the "optional" table underneath the main parts table.

The CHEAP programmer, "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer" has a 10-pin connector...therefore you would need to solder the original 10-pin programming header as shown in the $50 robot tutorial.  To use this programmer read this page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step4.shtml
Forum members have posted that they have had issues with this programmer - slow programming, only select ports working...etc.

However, based upon the opinions of experienced robotiscists on this forum, they all recommend that you purchase the more expensive programmer: "AVR ISP2 Programmer"  This programmer has a 6-pin connector, unlike the Dongle Programmer. - The link to buy it can be found here, on the parts list for the $50 robot: http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step1.shtml
This programmer is fast, and you only need to use AVR Studio (NO PonyProg) to program your robot.

Third, if your have already soldered the 10-pin header (2 rows of 5 pins) on your board, it is recommended that you simply unsolder it, and replace it with a 6-pin header, for the AVR ISP2 Programmer.  Here is a link which you must read through carefully in order to determine the proper wiring for the 6-pin header for the AVR ISP2 Programmer: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=1045.0

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:10:46 PM by Metal Slug 2 »

Offline sp33d0Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Programmer cable question(50$ robot tutorial)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
Thanks metal... I had already figured out I needed a 10 pin and ordered it... I guess ill try my chances with this one.
Thanks,
sp33d0

Get Your Ad Here