go away spammer

Author Topic: Screws for mounting motors  (Read 4390 times)

Offline triggerTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
Screws for mounting motors
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
I hacked two motors out of an old CD player and I want to mount them to a U bracket (which I have yet to obtain). The screws it came with are too small to fit through both a washer and a bracket, so, how do I find longer screws to fit it? I don't have any tools to measure screw size. Are there standard screws for small DC motors? I looked on McMaster but that wasn't helpful--way too many options.   ???

thanks
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Screws for mounting motors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
There are no "standard" screws used to mount motors (although from a CD player, it's likely you're dealing with a metric size) - you're just going to have to find a way to measure them. It shouldn't be all that hard, with a cheap pair of calipers (your best bet) or even a 6 inch steel scale. You should be able to pick either up for under $10. You can determine thread pitch by using a pitch gauge (maybe $3 for a Chinese-made one) If your budget won't allow for buying new tools, take the screw to a good hardware store close to your home, and see what nut will easily thread onto the screw you have. That will tell you the screw size and thread pitch - and you can pick up longer screws while you're there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:47:58 PM by Militoy »

Get Your Ad Here