Author Topic: making functional robots out of flexible cardboard  (Read 4741 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
making functional robots out of flexible cardboard
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »
I visited Ron Ferrings lab about 2 years ago and they showed me how they made robots out of cardboard. This is by far the best I've seen. Basically a laser cutter is used to make the bot, and its folded and assembled by hand. The advantage is that you don't need screws or special linkages for joints, the joints don't wear out, and flexibility is slowly becoming the new fad in robotics (a fad I support) ;D

DASH (Dynamic Autonomous Sprawled Hexapod) is a resilient high-speed 16-gram hexapedal robot. Developed by P. Birkmeyer & R.S. Fearing, Biomimetic Millisystems Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley

DASH: Resilient High-Speed 16-gram Hexapedal Robot

The Robotic Autonomous Crawling Hexapod (RoACH) is made using lightweight composites with integrated flexural hinges. It's actuated by two shape memory alloy wires and controlled by a PIC microprocessor. It can communicate over IrDA and run untethered for more than nine minutes on a single charge.

RoACH: A 2.4 gram, Untethered Crawling Hexapod Robot
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:51:29 PM by Admin »

Offline ericthered

• Helpful? 0
Re: making functional robots out of flexible cardboard
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
where can u get this cardbordium alloy stuff. Those robots seem to have trouble turning

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
Re: making functional robots out of flexible cardboard
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:55:08 AM »
i am going to stick with what i use now to build robots.

Get Your Ad Here