go away spammer

Author Topic: Walbot Instructable  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Brandon121233Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Walbot Instructable
« on: June 23, 2007, 10:11:13 PM »
Hey everyone!
Ok so I finally got some sort of tutorial on how to build Walbot, its on Instructables right now but I also plan to make it into a tutorial here. You can view my Instructable for Walbot at this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/EXDGV5CF36FEUOP/.
I only ask one favor of everyone who looks at it, that you would go over and check to make sure I included everything, and that all the links work.
Oh and John (AKA: Admin) I did some advertising for you at the end of my instructable =]
Hope you like it.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Walbot Instructable
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »
Nice robot- sweet free sample!! ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:50:49 AM »
Oh and John (AKA: Admin) I did some advertising for you at the end of my instructable =]
Hope you like it.
I was about to call you a traitor until I read this line :P

I believe your tutorial is the first 'how to make a robot' tutorial for instructables. I almost posted a robot tutorial on it as well to get free advertising back, but the interface was too painful and slow . . . Im curious of how many hits it will get . . .

its on Instructables right now but I also plan to make it into a tutorial here.
To do a page on the member tutorials here, you can literally just copy/paste the instructables page from the browser into the new page. It will keep the same formatting, no html or extra work needed.

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »
How bout this Admin?
[youtube=425,350]XAWTGWdGAAQ[/youtube]

—Thomas Edison

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
Sweet!

For the beginners out there, I would say Brandon's robot is a perfect design for a starter. Its simple in every way, and has tons of room to be upgraded in the future with more advanced stuff.

I also have a soft spot for insanely fast robots that manage to not run in to anything :P

So Brandon, whats your plans for the next project/upgrade?

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »
Well here are the 3 things I have planned right now...
1. When ever my custom made PCB Adruino shield arrives back from BatchPCB, I will be adding 2 Sharp wide angle infrared distance sensors on the sides. This way, Walbot will be able to determine if there is anything in the way it will be turning, if there is Walbot will turn in the opposite direction.

2. Next I plan to add basic line following abilities to it, so it can do competitions such as Mobot, watch out Admin I coming to CMU in a year or to to compete!

3. I also plan to add a third level to the existing 2 platforms, and put a Dell Axim Pocket PC on Walbot. This way I can use features such as a beautiful LCD tough screen, Bluetooth, WiFi, speakers, Mic, and the extremely powerful 520 MHz processor to help with advanced math calculations that Walbot might need.

Other than that its pretty much open for whatever, I want to be able to control Walbot with a Bluetooth enabled cell phone eventually, maybe add a camera to it...

—Thomas Edison

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:04:29 PM »
In less than 24 hours I've gotten 480 hits...not bad.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 04:47:31 AM »
hmmmm by referral I only got 2 hits from instructables . . . doh!

Offline Sain

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 12:13:35 AM »
hmmmm by referral I only got 2 hits from instructables . . . doh!

Don't worry, you got a member from his link. I'm not new to robotics exactly. I competed in an event called Dallas BEST which is a robotics competition where you must build a robot to complete a specific task. I was in charge of the whole thing, but everyone in the group helped out with everything. I plan on building either the $50 bot. Or the wall bot as soon as I can get the cash. I'm new to programming and everything so this should be fun. Our robots for Dallas Best were strictly remote controlled.

Also I plan on entering the SOR contest, just trying to get more info on that. Could an modified Wall bot or $50 bot be considered an eligible entry?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
Any type of robot is ok. If it made you pancakes in the morning using an alarm clock, even that would be ok :P

Get Your Ad Here