Author Topic: welding aluminum???  (Read 3741 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
welding aluminum???
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:15:46 AM »
Can anybody give me a heads up on brazing welding 1/16" thick aluminum?  I have checked out the turtorial on this site and was wondering if all the info applies to welding aluminum too. 

Thanks

Bane.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: welding aluminum???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:53:19 AM »
umm i tried doing that for a chasi once and i melted the aliminium...tho it did work
Howdy

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:09:02 AM »
umm i tried doing that for a chasi once and i melted the aliminium...tho it did work
hes not talking about melting aluminum, he's talking about brazing it
Umm Smash you know that  aluminum melts at 660.32 °C, 1220.58 °F  right?

BANE you can braze aluminum but I've seen aluminum brazing fillers , so you better get that ( its the filler you need to braze aluminum together)

Just be careful and don't burn yourself, lol

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:31 AM »
from what i know brazing is welding using torches. i dont know how to do that.

but you can get a regular mig welder w/ aluminum wire and that'll work. just might need to make teh spool cloesr to the end
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
Wait, do you want to weld or to braze? Entirely different things . . .

As for welding aluminum, its really really hard! I've only melted holes in my aluminum . . . As for "1/16" thick aluminum", I doubt even an expert welder could do that . . . its like butter at ground zero of a nuke . . . :P

You want to use screws, or braze.

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
to weld aluminum that thin you would need a TIG machine. And a whole lot of know how.
Aluminium conducts heat very well, so the heat generated ahead of the weld means you constantly have to adjust current. Also, most "aluminium" that you can buy is actually an alloy of some sort. Depending on the metal, it may want to resist shrinkage after welding, making it crack. Sooooo. If you know what you are doing, go ahead and weld it, but if you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have asked.

I would suggest you try brazing, with an aluminium filler.
Here's the catch:
The filler's melting temp is rediculously close to aluminium's melting temp, so go slowly and make sure you have some pieces to practice on first.
IMPORTANT: Clean the surfaces you want to braze really well, aluminium oxidizes really fast and you can't really tell just by looking at it (and it's really annoying because aluminium oxide melts about three times the temp that aluminium melts at. Not good!). Use a wire brush, then a little bit if distilled water on the surfaces, and dry it and immediately start the brazing process.
Oh, and you will still have to worry about stress cracks during cool down, so try to bring the temp down slowly.

Good luck! dont be discouraged if the filler wont adhere at first, or you melt your piece. Just keep practicing, and you should be able to get the hang of it.

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Hey thanks for the post everybody.  To tell you the truth I really don't know anything about welding :D, so I think I'm to try the brazing.  Bukowski, you said to use aluminum filler, can you give me some suggestions on where to buy it and what type?  I've only heard of using solder thats why.  Also, the aluminum I'm using was purchased at a Lowe's hardware store (not sure what type it is).  :-\

Get Your Ad Here