Author Topic: Viper kit  (Read 2591 times)

Offline zael91Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Viper kit
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Hi,

i have a viper kit and i want to improve its pushing capabilities. Im using a 12v 30:1 motor.

Any advice on how i could increase its torque and speed?

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Viper kit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
Hi,

i have a viper kit and i want to improve its pushing capabilities. Im using a 12v 30:1 motor.

Any advice on how i could increase its torque and speed?
I have no idea about what a "viper kit" is (hint: linking makes it easier to help), but there's not that many options...
- Cut away excess material to reduce weight (not knowing your kit, I don't know how much it can be reduced).
- Add an extra motor.
- Push the motor you have to a slightly higher voltage, like 15V and take temperature measurements on the motor housing each ~5minutes when testing it. If it gets above 40°C (around the max. for an average motor), back down on voltage and vv.

Problem is that you want to increase both torque and speed, otherwise you could just change the total gearing (motor to pavement), which could be as simple as changing the tyre size (up for speed, down for torque).

If you link to the kit and/or post some sharp focused photos of it from several angles, it may be possible to be more specific.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
hi there,

Im really sorry for not being more specific. The kit that i was referring to is this.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-44-viper-sumo-kit-no-electronics.aspx.

Im currently using the motor that came with it which is the GHM-01 and the sabertooth 2x25 motor controller.
I've recently taken an interest in sumo robots after seeing videos of them on youtube.

I've read the tutorials regarding sumo robot on the website and i have roughly gotten the idea on how they work. (have no knowledge of electronics)

Would it be perfectly fine to just upgrade the motor if i want to achieve better toque and speed? As i am planning to use the GHM-01 to build my own sumo.

Offline ebrady

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
hi there,

Im really sorry for not being more specific. The kit that i was referring to is this.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-44-viper-sumo-kit-no-electronics.aspx.

I clicked on the link, there is an error in it, looks like a period at the end of the URL link.  This one works.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-44-viper-sumo-kit-no-electronics.aspx

Im currently using the motor that came with it which is the GHM-01 and the sabertooth 2x25 motor controller.
I've recently taken an interest in sumo robots after seeing videos of them on youtube.

I've read the tutorials regarding sumo robot on the website and i have roughly gotten the idea on how they work. (have no knowledge of electronics)

Would it be perfectly fine to just upgrade the motor if i want to achieve better toque and speed? As i am planning to use the GHM-01 to build my own sumo.

Increasing both torque and speed requires a more significant design change, are you sure you need to increase both?  Otherwise, I concur with the previous post --> Reduce weight, Change Motor, Drive existing motor harder.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
And
 what ever motor you change to must not exceed the specs of the sabertooth 2x25 motor controller.
Unless you also change the motor controller.

Of the two motors available for the Viper the 30:1 is faster with less torque and the 50:1 has more torque but is slower.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
Hi,

The kit that i was referring to is this.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-44-viper-sumo-kit-no-electronics.aspx
OK.

Im currently using the motor that came with it which is the GHM-01 [...]

Not sure if you wrote what you mean? If you upgrade the motor, you're not using the GHM-01.
The 'bot can use the slower GHM-02 with more torque, as they're identical in size.
Not knowing how fast it is with the GHM-01, but sumos need torque over speed.

If you can somehow fit a 10mm longer motor, the GHM-12 will be better, increasing both speed (by 26%) and especially torque (by 68%).

Wheel size could be changed - smaller diameter = higher torque, larger diameter = higher speed - spinning a pair of foam tires over some emery paper on a flat surface will make the diameter go down fast.

Too bad you have no electronics experience, or you could make a "NOx" function for tight encounters, by adding in a cell or two short term - that would give an instant boost to any DC motor.

Sumos aren't won by brute force alone though - strategy is an important key :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »
hi,

Thanks for the reply guys. I have one more question to ask, its regarding the battery.
Would this battery be sufficient enough to run the sumo?
http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-64-120-volt-ni-mh-1600mah-battery-pack.aspx

As the kit that i bought came with 4 AA batteries i am sure that it is not enough to power the sumo.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »
4 AA batteries have a nominal voltage of 6V (4 x 1.5V).
The battery you linked to is 12V. Can the circuits for the Viper handle 12V???
If not then you need a 6V battery pack.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
hi,

sorry for the late reply.

im currently using a 12VDC 20:1 570 rpm and a 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack.

when i connected the battery to my sabertooth 2x25 battery terminal, there was a spark.

Im not sure as to why that happened as i know that the motor controller can handle 12v

Get Your Ad Here

data_list