Author Topic: any book worth reading  (Read 1765 times)

Offline SuperMiguelTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
any book worth reading
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
I have done a few robots by my self mostly autonomous, even though when i post them online people say that i did a good job, that they are great i still dont feel like im good at/in robotics at all, is there a good book for robotics or is there a GODDLY book for it?? like the richie book for C ... i mostly use avr chips if that matters....

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: any book worth reading
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
Although there are some good ones for hobbyists ("Robot Builders Bonanza" is one of my favorites), I've often found that the more advanced books are, simply put, awful.  Most are written for experts in the field. 

What, specifically, are you looking to get better at?  Robotics is a massive topic, so what you might find is that when you want to get better at it, you're going to have to choose to specialize somewhere for a little while. For example, if I were building some simple, hobby mobile robots, then I wanted to get better at navigation, I'd make myself a really good platform then read books about navigation.

Of course, if anyone else has a general robotics book, I'm super into looking at it as well!

MMIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline arunyogesh46

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
I have done a few robots by my self mostly autonomous, even though when i post them online people say that i did a good job, that they are great i still dont feel like im good at/in robotics at all, is there a good book for robotics or is there a GODDLY book for it?? like the richie book for C ... i mostly use avr chips if that matters....

I think you should buy Robot Builder's Bonanza (Fourth Edition). In this book, there are more than hundred projects and ten latest robot designs. This book will definitely be a good guide for you to develop fully autonomous robots.

To buy or to know more details about this book, visit:
http://www.roboticsbible.com/robotics-book-robot-builders-bonanza.html 

Offline ErikY

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
I read David Cook's Robot building for beginners.

It was much more of an electronics book than a robot book IMO, since there was no mcu used.

That said, for me, having zero understanding of electronics, it was a good book for me.

I built the line following robot in that book, and then I moved on to the $50 robot here.

By the time I finished those two robots, I felt I had a solid enough understanding to move on.

Since than, what I have found is that on the main site, there are so many incredible tutorials, along with the member tutorials and great information on these forums, that I am able to do some things on my own.

Still need lots of help, and a ton to learn but that path was helpful.

Robotics really is broken out into 3 disciplines, electronics, programming, mechanics. As a software architect, programming was pretty sound for me. This is why I found David Cook's book to be good for me.

I think the key is to look at the 3 disciplines and figure out where you are weakest, and try to find a robot book geared more towards that discipline, if you cannot, there are tons of books on each individual discipline.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list