Author Topic: RC controler adn reciver  (Read 1765 times)

Offline BraedanLogueTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
RC controler adn reciver
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
I spelled and wrong...
Hello, i am looking into setting up a controller and receiver to control a robot for a school competition, we originally had it wired up with a arduino but scrapped that because the program was giving us issues. So i was going to try and use a already programed and usable remote and reviver and just rig it to do what we would like. Though i don't know how i would do that with the stuff i keep finding. Here is a list of the stuff we have to control and what is accepted.
Two drive motors - they are centered and work like a skid steer as well as be variable speed, 12v and i am pretty sure draw 2 amps each max.
Two other individually controlled 12v motors, that do not need a variable control just need to be turned on and off (I know that is simply done with relays)
And one final motor that needs to be able to go both forwards and reverse, it is 12v as well.

Our restrictions are 2.4Ghz and 6 channels. Our system is a full 12v system though i can put together a regulator to run the reviver if necessary. I would love to know what you think we should do or how we can do it, because i have no idea how these would be implemented, or where the proper stuff is!

Thank you for you time, i look forward to hearing from you! Sorry if anything is worded incorrectly! If you have questions please ask away!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:41:43 AM by BraedanLogue »

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: RC controler adn reciver
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
Your main problem is going to be finding the right controllers that can decode the RC servo pulses and drive the motors.
For the main motors, a Trex controller from SparkFun or a RoboClaw 2x5a controller from Orion or a Sabretooth controller from Dimension will all work, and will take two channels of RC. These can typically be set to do "blend mode steering" or "individual steering.."
For the auxiliary forward/back motor, another controller of the same kind you use for the main motors would work, but might be overkill.
For the "turn on only," you could perhaps get away with something cheaper, or just use yet another one of those motor controllers, as they can drive two channels separately.

For the auxiliary, and turn-on-only motors, you could also go with an Arduino-based setup, with one full motor controller (H bridge) and two power N-channel MOSFETs with logic-level gates as low-side switches (IRLB8721 for example, available in singles from Adafruit.)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list