Author Topic: parallel port control in linux?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
parallel port control in linux?
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
hello yawls. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a programing language for Linux that can control the parallel port on a desktop PC. in the past I've used the now freeware Turing on an old desktop with windows 98 (got to love them garbage day runs :P) and now I'm thinking that I'd like to try using a desktop PC for a mostly scavenged robot since it can be easily powered with my 120w inverter (the power supply is only 90w). so anyways I'd like to install Linux on it so it can be repeatable since the parts for my idea are pretty common (4 car window motors, an old desktop or laptop, a power inverter, a home made H bridge, a motorcycle or 2 ups battery, 4 lawn mower wheels and a bunch of odds and ends) but i don't know much about Linux software and i was wondering if anyone knows of any software that would be good for this kind of thing?
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: parallel port control in linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
I recommend the programming language Python with the module pyparallel. A nice tutorial for pyparallel: http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-index.php?page=PyParallel
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:09:34 PM by Trumpkin »
Robots are awesome!

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: parallel port control in linux?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
perfect thanks! that's exactly what i needed
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Get Your Ad Here