Author Topic: Best approach to mount my Wheelchair Motor.  (Read 2119 times)

Offline chibi2666Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Best approach to mount my Wheelchair Motor.
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
HI all,

I am stuck at the moment on how to mount this Motor. I am currently making a tracked vehicle. Any ideals how to approach this...What would be the best  material  for the platform. I am thinking of plexiglass. 

Any help would be great

Thank you

Ron

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Best approach to mount my Wheelchair Motor.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
Plexiglass... for those things?  I'd use steel personally.  Unless your plexi is really thick (aka expensive), it'll probably flex if those things get too much strain on them.  We have a section on the site on what types of materials to build a robot out of.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/materials.shtml

Offline tomcharley

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
Dear Chibi,

How was it mounted in the wheelchair?  You could try to use the same material or maybe even transfer the whole mounting frame over from the wheelchair.  I'll agree with Corrado that standard thicknesses of Plexiglas are probably a bit weak for something that was meant to carry around 250-350lbs.
  Do you have multiple motors or are you going to have that power both treads through some kind of gearbox?

~Tom

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
What kind of tools do you have available? That's something to consider when deciding on materials.

Metal is good / strong.

Plexiglas is nice to finish and can be clear, but it is expensive and not very stiff.

Plywood in inexpensive and strong.  And may be easier to work with.

Fiberglass / resin gives you the ability to make complex shapes.

Or, you could combine materials - make a metal bracket to attach to the motor then bolt it to a plywood deck.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Get Your Ad Here

data_list