Author Topic: Tread System w/ Picture  (Read 3243 times)

Offline NGuggemosTopic starter

• Helpful? 5
Tread System w/ Picture
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
Hey guys I was just seeing if you guys could verify this method of getting the power to the wheels. The two bottom sprockets will be connected to the drive wheels of the treads. The line represents the chain. I'm pretty sure that will work, but i just wanted to verify it with you guys, Thanks

Offline eaglemike

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Tread System w/ Picture
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Length of the chain and adding a suspension to the drive wheels will effect some of the aspects to this.  Make sure to keep tension on the track, if for some reason the track should become loose on the sprockets, your chain can come off and you'll be pushing your vehicle with sprockets.  Too much tension and you can start causing damage.

Add some measurements to this, and try and build a lego prototype to see how the track will work on this.  no need for a motor(s) or anything like that.

• Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »
Thank you eaglemike :)

• Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
But if the wheels to spin the treads will be always be in the same place I wont have to worry about that, right?

Offline eaglemike

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
Depends really.  Length of track, expected terrain, etc.  Add some measurements, pull out the lego's, and go to town.  One of my first robots was track based.  I learned a lot as far as how it'll all work.  If you do that design for each wheel (did that too), then the top sprocket would be the drive sprocket, and a triangular frame system would be needed to keep the two surface sprockets in place.  You can build the whole thing from lego's, and give yourself some pretty good ground clearance.  With a standard tank like set-up, you aren't looking at much of a ground clearance, which is good for level surfaces.  You can raise up the body just by building track supports an making them placed lower on the body.  Just be 7 years old again and play with the lego's and see what you can come up with.  I'm getting old here in my 20's, and I will preach the use of lego's in prototyping for a long time.  You can construct just about everything from them just before making a permanent chassis and mechanical system for your motors and electronics to sit on.

Offline ChrisW

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Lynxsmotion has a tread set up quite similar for their 'Johnny 5' type chassis ...(http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build115.htm). looks like they keep the track on with the frame of the assembly rather than tension.

• Helpful? 5
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
Well I am unsure of the measurements and I would try a prototype with legos, but I don’t have that type of Legos. Well I will be using this over really rough terrain. Also I am going to use modified timing belts as my treads. The tread is also going to be angled at 45 to 55 degrees in the front to climb over rubble, stairs, etc. Here is a picture of what it will basically look like.

• Helpful? 5
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »
@ChrisW
That is a really cool sight and that will help me understand some mechanical techniques for building treads. Thank you very much!

Get Your Ad Here