Author Topic: USB controlled servo's?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline mrjameslatTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
USB controlled servo's?
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
Hello all,
I'm working on a project and I need to incorporate a servo and and a tilt into it.
I never messes with microprocessors and such so I was hoping that I could just run all the commands through my computer (to raise/lower each tilt/servo).
Is there such a thing as a USB controlled servo? A servo that was directly connected and drew it's power from my computer and that I would be capable of making a C++ program to control it's up/down motion? Is it also possible to get a USB controlled tilt?

Please help me get on the right track.

Thanks for your time,
-James

paulstreats

Re: USB controlled servo's?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
google "usb servo controller" you will find many pre made solutions.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
I tried that, and all i get (as it seems) is microprocessors and the ones tht look like i could use them are 150+ USD.

Do you know of any cheaper ones?
Or at least a good brand name tht i should choose from?

Thanks

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Ok, I don't think we are talking about the same product. Is it possible to have servo (such as a stepper motor) (http://www.robotshop.com/rbsoy12-soyo-unipolar-stepper-motor.html) at the end of a USB?

Or would I have to buy a microprocessor (like the #2 google one) and buy the servo's separate from that and then hook everything up through the microprocessor?

Thanks again for your time and patients,
-James

Offline hopslink

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
Is it possible to have servo (such as a stepper motor) (http://www.robotshop.com/rbsoy12-soyo-unipolar-stepper-motor.html) at the end of a USB?
The stepper motor you link to is not a servo, and cannot be driven from a USB port without an external controller and power supply.

Or would I have to buy a microprocessor (like the #2 google one) and buy the servo's separate from that and then hook everything up through the microprocessor?
You will always need some sort of adapter, usually microcontroller based, since no actuator will present a native USB interface. In addition you will likely need an external power supply as USB only provides 500mA by design.

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
No matter what, you need the control circuitry.

If you can get a servo or stepper motor that just plugs into the USB port then that device must have the control circuitry built into it and you would call it a "USB servo". Why is there any difference to having the control circuitry external to the servo rather than built in? it is still going to be a "USB servo"

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »
alright, I see your points, and I guess it doesn't really matter which way I do it, but it seems like using the microprocessor seems to be the best route.

Thanks for your time :)

-James

Offline olius

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
im usin this:
http://www.elechouse.com/elechouse/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_146&products_id=808
32 servo myght be a bit owerkill for you, but im curently working tho make the driver work under android, so u can controll it from a droid tablett or phone with usb host

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
That sounds like a really cool project!
I just really need to be able to control a tilt (housing a cannon) and a stepper (housing laser pointer)
In the end my goal is to hook everything up and make simple C++ software program, and user some physics so that
i have a super accurate, (distance) self calculating cannon.

I thought it would be a fun weekend project, but it appears to be much harder than just that (and expensive).

But thanks for your input,
-James

Get Your Ad Here