Author Topic: Antenna motors design help  (Read 1868 times)

Offline some_coolTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Antenna motors design help
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
Dear All

I know this is not the place to ask about Antennas related question but this is very much related.

The thing is that I want to design a full motion antenna with elevation of +/- 45 degrees and Azimuth of 400 degrees. The system is required to be Elevation over Azimuth. And the motor should be 12V DC.

I have no idea at all the what motors to use. I want to know what DC motor to use and how to calculate theoretically the motor specifications. The antenna is itself is 1m dish and say with a mass of about 40 Kg.

I need something to start off with. Please if someone can help i will be really thankful. And let me know if you need more details or clarifications.

Thanks alot

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Antenna motors design help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
kindly ignore the elevation requirement I mentioned. It should be from 0-90 degrees.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
Will the dish be outside all the time or just during nice calm weather?
The structure design and motor/gear strength will need to be much stronger if it is to handle wind loads.

Will the dish be statically balanced across the movement axis? What is the actual geometry of the dish to the axis and motor attachment.

The motors will needed to be gar speed reduced, slow but more torque.

There is info on Ham Radio web site about doing this. Try googling "EME dish" like here:
http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/gallery.html

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
But I am looking for something for the purpose of mobile VSAT.
http://www.gdsatcom.com/MobileVSAT/Mobile%20VSAT%20Datasheet.pdf

This will give you an idea what i am looking for. I would like to know which motors and gears to use. I need some starting point please.

Thanks

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
Doesn't matter if its for VSAT. If you googled and looked at the many links found for "EME dish" then you would see how these could be motor driven.

It is not as simple as telling you that motor 'a' would work since we have no idea of the mounting configuration etc. Or of your skill on building such.

Get Your Ad Here