go away spammer

Author Topic: Decrease motor speed without gearbox?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline ashourTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Decrease motor speed without gearbox?
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
Hi, i'm trying to build the 40$ line follower robot , i've finished the electronics part , but i'm having so hard times with the mechanical part because none of the parts metioned in the tutorial are available with the same specs in where i live so i have to improvise , and i have a question about DC motors : i found a 6v DC-Motor but i think it have a very high RPM than the 100 rpm mentioned in the tutorial , i can't buy gearboxes even here , because that would be very expensive for me and geared motors available only as used parts from old copy machines !! so they are very big and miss axes usually !

So someone have any method to decrease the motor speed?
I've tried before adding resistors of 6.8 Ohm to the circuit and its not very nice idea

thanks

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Decrease motor speed without gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
This will be difficult to do electrically. I'll guess that your motors have a shaft about 5-10mm long and less than 1mm diameter. You can get a mechanical reduction when driving the wheels by having the motor shaft against the tread of the wheel. A little more description:
1- mount the wheels on an axial so the wheels are free to rotate.
2- mount the motor so the the motor's shaft is parallel to the wheel's axial and the motor's shaft is pressing against the wheel tread.
3- this gives a reduction ratio of motor shaft diamete divided by the wheel diameter.

Her's a picture of my first Bot's motor drive:

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:31:02 AM »
^^ cheapest and simplest way.

A gear box doesn't simply slow the motor down, it transforms some of that speed into torque, which is necessary to move anything, without torque your robot wouldn't move.
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »
Thats a good idea Waltr,
I've got lots of those little 6-7.2v motors from toys I've "examined", but all hope of using them in a proper robot failed when I tested the tuque...
Mind you, if you are willing to pull apart a VCR or too you can get a pancake motor with lot's of tuque for it's size.

I wish i had sudden brain bursts like that....

Voyager
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:19:33 PM by voyager2 »
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
I can't take credit for the idea since I borrowed it from someone else many years ago. I did think it is a great idea for getting something working with junk box parts.
Have fun.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:26 PM »
Hi,

Velo Solex has used a similar method for transferring the motor power to the (front) wheel - a roller covered with something akin to sanding paper for grip (needles to say that the tires wear out relatively fast - and that it steers like *Censored* due to the front hinged motor that you lower to the tire for starting).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list