Author Topic: TCS3200 on a mini-vehicle  (Read 1641 times)

Offline IonitaLucianTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
TCS3200 on a mini-vehicle
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
Hi! I want to build an autonomous mini-vehicle that is guided by a minicontroller which can detect 8 red baloons located in a 4mx4m fixed perimeter. The vehicle's task is to detect the baloons and break them. My question is whether i can use the TCS3200 Color Sensor and how should i implement it on the vehicle

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: TCS3200 on a mini-vehicle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
The TCS3200 is for near-field color detection. You cannot point it into a room and read out "there are red spots at locations A, B and C."

From the problem statement, it sounds as if a webcam or other small, digital camera would be suitable. Then you need a small computer board that can read the webcam and analyze the picture -- something like a BeagleBone or a Raspberry Pi or perhaps a used Android cell phone (which is camera and computer in one package.)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: TCS3200 on a mini-vehicle
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
Hi,

[...] a minicontroller which can detect 8 red baloons located in a 4mx4m fixed perimeter. The vehicle's task is to detect the baloons and break them. My question is whether i can use the TCS3200 Color Sensor and how should i implement it on the vehicle
We need far more info on the task that your vehicle is expected to perform...
Are the 8 red ballons lying on the floor or...?
Does the person(s) managing the happening include balloons of other colors that must not be punctured?
At what distance do you need to detect them?
How close can the red balloons be?

If there's no other balloons in play and you have no rules saying that the vehicle must detect the red ballons before puncturing them, a fast rotating arm with a needle may do, if you just make the vehicle traverse the field in an exhaustive manner - a microphone could perhaps be included to detect the popping sound and use that for counting your "kills".

Or... Scan a blue LASER slowly over the field ;D

But that's likely disallowed, so answer the 4 questions above and add whatever you may think relevant and give us a chance to help :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list