Author Topic: AI Encounters  (Read 2772 times)

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
AI Encounters
« on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:29 AM »
A British fiction writer told me he is writing fiction novels about encounters with AI. Since AI is such a broad term, I wondered exactly what does AI cover. AI does not necessarily just mean robots. I could imagine it isn't limited to robotics, or board games/puzzles?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:54:44 AM by vidam »

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
Re: AI Encounters
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:49:57 AM »
Well, it means Artificial Intelligence, so it covers everything that has some intelligence made by humans. I guess... :P
From dishwashers to robots!
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline fr4ncium

• Helpful? 0
Re: AI Encounters
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
AI is not a very well defined term - according to my AI textbook there are 4 main definitions of AI

-"[The Automation of] activities that we associate with human thinking, activities such as decision-making, problem solving, learning..." (Bellman, 1978)
ie: Think/reason like a human
-"The study of the computations that make it possible to perceive, reason, and act" (Winston, 1992)
ie: Think reason perfectly rationally
-"The study of creating machines that perform functions that require intelligence when performed by people" (Kurzweil, 1990)
ie: Behave/act like a human
-"A field of study that seeks to explain and emulate intelligent behavior in terms of computational processes" (Schalkoff, 1990)
ie: Behave/act perfectly rationally

Taken from "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Russell, Norvig

AI can be applied to anything that requires decisions to be made.

data_list