Author Topic: EL motor for "Car"  (Read 5829 times)

Offline sotuTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
EL motor for "Car"
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:22:08 AM »
Maybe this is a wild idea but i was thinking of making an Electric "car", its basically just some light chassis material with some motor on and electric system on.

So my question is, how many voltage on a motor do you think i need for it to be powerful enough to drive me (wheels attached to the motors) The weight will be about 80-100 with the chassis and electronics weight!

Off course i want it as cheap as possible but i understand it might not be that cheap. I have tried to Google it but its difficult if i don't know how many Volts i need, and i think motor is better choice then servos at this one.

I may tell you more about the project if i find any resistible motors or i just shut this project down!

Edit: I just came over this product:

http://lionball.en.alibaba.com/product/50043278/51479280/DC_Car_Motors/DC_Car_Motor___Automobile_Motor_.html

I dont see much of a product documentation but it says its DC car motos, look where it says:
1) Volt: 12V   24V
2) Current: 8.5/14.5A   4.3/7.3A
3)Speed: 1250/2100rpm
4)Rot.Direction: CW

Looks pretty good, but i cant see the real size (the measurements, and it looks kinda small)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:34:35 AM by sotu »
How to build a biped bot:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: EL motor for "Car"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »
This should help you calculate how strong a motor you need:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/mechanics_dynamics.shtml

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »
Thnx i got some advices from my father to, like using a old car battery (not empty) on 2, at least 12 V motors.
I have seen some picture of electric go'karts and its seems like they're using motor with a round shape which isn't so tick. You think i should rather go for one of those? What do you think the price for a good 12 V motor is?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »
search and you shall find.
look at the SOR page about motors.

what about taking an electric drill and taking the motor and gearset from it.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
Brushless motors will give you higher torque and efficiency than normal dc motors for small size applications but require a cotrol circuit.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:37:47 AM »

what about taking an electric drill and taking the motor and gearset from it.

Would that be powerful enough to drive 2 wheels on a small wooden car? Once i took apart a drill but the motor isen't so big but really powerful, but i was more thinking about making my own gear with chains going from the motor to a stick attached to both wheels...so a 12 V motors with a 12 V car battery should be good, and still, i guess there is many Voltage types on brushless motors, how many do i need?

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »
Maybe you could get hold of the starter motor out of a real car from a scrap yard or something, these would be powered easily from your car battery.
I'm not sure about torque, speed etc.. cause ive never had reason to investigate starter motors.
-just something else to try.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »
starter motors cant run for more than a about 10 at full power without getting damged, also they draw alot of amps
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »
Can't anyone give some feedback about what they think about the link to the motor i posted on my first link, it got over 1000 rpm so the motor got good speed but as on the dynamics page admin got on this page he says if a robot is heavy the robot need a motor with good torque, i will get in touch by mail with the producers of the products and see if they can give me better info about the motor!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:20:12 AM by sotu »

Get Your Ad Here