Electronics > Electronics

Have a PWM signal and a motor; how to make a servo.

(1/3) > >>

czwalga00gt:
I've searched and found a lot of semi-useful information, but still havent got a smoking gun.

What i have: FPGA that outputs a PWM signal, a standard DC motor that when on goes to 90 degrees open, and off is 0 degrees closed.

What i need: Basically i need the logic that can turn this into a servo, so I can basically hook up the power/ground, then my PWM signal and control the angle the motor blade is open. 

Is there pre-fabbed logic out there that I can buy or will this have to be completely custom.  Really i'm just trying to make a higher powered standard motor into a servo. 

Admin:
How about this?
http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/Circuits/PowerServo/PowerServo.html

You could also just put an encoder onto the DC motor.

czwalga00gt:
Thanks, i've seen that and it's pretty much where i've have most of my information.  I was just wondering if anyones actually done something like this.

Admin:

--- Quote ---Really i'm just trying to make a higher powered standard motor into a servo.
--- End quote ---
Just out of curiosity, why? Why not just buy a stepper motor or an industrial servo or use encoders?

czwalga00gt:

--- Quote from: Admin on August 06, 2007, 07:31:02 AM ---
--- Quote ---Really i'm just trying to make a higher powered standard motor into a servo.
--- End quote ---
Just out of curiosity, why? Why not just buy a stepper motor or an industrial servo or use encoders?

--- End quote ---

I really would like to... it would make my life a hell of a lot easier.  The problem is that this motor is already built into a specific housing with gearing.  There is a potentiometer already built into the housing as well.  I'd like to just change the motor out, but it would be too difficult.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version