Author Topic: Direction of RFID signal  (Read 1630 times)

Offline roborgTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Direction of RFID signal
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
Hi,

I am wondering if a RFID reader can tell (approximately) which direction the RFID transmitter is ? and how far the trasmitter is ? I am wondering if there is a way to compute it based on signal strength and may be other properties when the signal is being processed.

Thanks,
RO.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Direction of RFID signal
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
Hi,

I am wondering if a RFID reader can tell (approximately) which direction the RFID transmitter is ? and how far the transmitter is ? I am wondering if there is a way to compute it based on signal strength and may be other properties when the signal is being processed.
A regular passive RFID device haven't got current for anything but responding with its code.
You could let the transponder badge have it's own supply and sensors (distance, GPS etc) and read that data back when polled, but then it sort of makes using RFID obsolete, as there are better ways for that.

So, the short answer is no.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Direction of RFID signal
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
I am actually working on a project with RFID tags.

For passive tags: No, for everything Soeren said.

Different story for active tags. We actually have a hand-held reader that has a 'search' mode that just beeps faster and faster as it's looking at / approaching the tag you want to find. It works starting at about 20 feet away.