go away spammer

Author Topic: Tyco Tri Clops Hack help  (Read 2527 times)

Offline madchimpTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Tyco Tri Clops Hack help
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:11 AM »
I'm new to the whole robotics thing and would like some input. Quite some time ago I got an OOPic-R board to start my robotics experience but a lack of funds held things up a bit. A couple weeks ago I saw the Tyco Tri Clops on Clearance and thought it would make a good base so I got it. I've started taking it apart and from looking at the pcb I'm thinking I can use it to drive the motors and of course the disc shooter. I've included pictures and explanations below.
This is just a picture of the Main pcb

This is a close up of #1 I'm pretty sure it's the reciever which is under the main pcb and connected by three wires. I think I might incorporate it into the robot untill i can get a better remote control system but that is undecided.

The picture on the left is #2 and the picture on the right is on the underside of the main pcb right below #2. There are eight of each of these chips and there is two of each chip near where each of the four motors hook up so I'm guessing H-Bridge. I've tried to google and find any kind of specs for these so I know what they can take as far as pwm and such but no luck yet was hoping maybe someone here might be able to shed some light on it.

The next picture is whats under the metal case in #3. I'm guessing it's some sort of micro controller but it's kinda hidden by the black epoxy. I'm thinking I might be able to pull this board out and make a new board to go in it's place with a header on it instead of a micro so I can hook my OOPic-R up to it and control all of the functions of the Tri Clops.

This is the underside of the pcb showing how the board above connects to the main pcb.

#4 in the top picture is a header for the laser sight and the two leds in the front of the vehicle
#5 is a header for sensors that tell it what position the front arms are in they can be angled foward for vector drive mode or straight out the side for differential drive mode
This is an overall picture of the Tyco Tri Clops and no those aren't my toes I pulled this picture off the net since I forgot to get a picture of my Tri Clops pre surgery.

So really what I'm asking is does it sound like I'm on the right track in thinking I can pull that small board and make a replacement with a header to connect my OOPic-R and if anyone can point me in the right direction to find a data sheet or specs for the chips in the H-Bridge circuits. Also ideas for figuring out the pin out for where the small board connects to the main pcb would be more than welcome. Luckily  vcc and ground are labeld :) but would still need to track down what the rest do.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:40:34 AM by madchimp »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Tyco Tri Clops Hack help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right track . . . just poke around with your multimeter while commanding it to do stuff. For example, you should see a PWM signal by the H-bridge, etc.

There are eight of each of these chips and there is two of each chip near where each of the four motors hook up so I'm guessing H-Bridge.
Hmmmm 3 wheel motors, there should be 4*3=12 mosfets . . . and one more for the disc thrower. See what your multimeter says . . .

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the input! Glad to hear I'm probably on the right track. Hopefully this weekend I will get to work on it some more.
Hmmmm 3 wheel motors, there should be 4*3=12 mosfets . . . and one more for the disc thrower. See what your multimeter says . . .
There are sixteen total eight of the 3318 on the top side of the board and eight of the 3055s on the underside of the board the 3055s are directly under the 3318. I definitely found the mosfets that are driving the drive motors and I think the other 4 drive the motor for the thrower/transform mechanism. I haven't dug into the mechanism that makes it transform from vector drive to differential or the disc thrower yet but so far it looks like they use the some motor but I need to get it apart so I can see how they keep it from firing when it's changing modes.
just poke around with your multimeter while commanding it to do stuff. For example, you should see a PWM signal by the H-bridge, etc.
Won't the PWM just show up as pretty much a steady voltage on a multimeter especially a cheap one like mine heheh.  Would love to get an oscilloscope or even just a good multimeter.

Thanks again for the input.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
There are sixteen total eight of the 3318 on the top side of the board and eight of the 3055s on the underside of the board the 3055s are directly under the 3318.
Sounds about right, half pnp, half npn

Won't the PWM just show up as pretty much a steady voltage on a multimeter
does your multimeter have frequency mode, Hz?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »
does your multimeter have frequency mode, Hz?
No it doesn't. I got it when I took an A+ certification course as part of the course. It's decent but no frequency mode. I should still be able to track down whats what and interface the OOPic-R to the Tri-Clops main pcb though. I had thought about possibly just removing the receiver and hooking up the OOPic-R there but would be difficult to figure out what signals i would need to feed it with only the multimeter i have. That could still be an option down the road though. But for now I think the easiest approach especially with my lack of experience would be what I'm doing.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list