go away spammer

Author Topic: Generators!  (Read 1964 times)

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Generators!
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
I'm going to be making a generator in shop class this year, Im sure it wont be too hard.  I got these magnets (http://www.emovendo.net/magnet/18mm-x-14mm-x-30mm-motor-magnets.html) and almost 1300 feet of 26 gauge enamel wire.  Any ideas?

Offline guncha

• Helpful? 0
Re: Generators!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:06 AM »
Wind power enthusiasts have a lot of info on how to build your own alternators, power converters and what not. Your best bet is to start from there.

Offline hopslink

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
Essentially you are building a brushless motor so also look at those too. Here is a starter: DIY Brushless Motors

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
Well, I mostly know the theory behind them, I've made small ones.... Dam I wish I could draw a picture in paint or something then you could see what I'm thinking.... Stupid mac.  And i Can't draw one at school cuz its friday.... I'll get a pic then you can see.

EDIT::
Got a Pic! (now if only I can figure out how to insert...... Voila!)

Ok so essentially this is a top view.  The bar in the middle is the axel, Attached to the red gear (wont be red).  This gear can attach to whatever I want to spin it.  Probably a bike.  The grey around it is the magnets,  and the big brown square is the base.  The black bars on either end are the ball bearings that attach it to the base  On either side (This brown rectangles) Are where I'me going to wrap the wire.

So the question is, Is it better to put the wire on either side or get a pipe to completally surround it?   and how should it be wrapped?  2 continuous loops on either side, or a bunch of small connected loops?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:47:48 AM by Xyver »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list