Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Wheel width for differential drive robot

<< < (2/6) > >>

Admin:
MOBOT is a competition at Carnegie Mellon University:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/competitions_mobot.shtml

its basically a low contrast line following competition on bumpy/hilly terrain

historically only 10% of all participants get past the first 10% of the course . . . only 2% of participants have beaten the entire course . . . so its decently hard . . .

ive done it for years . . . but this is probably my last year to compete, sigh :'(

annoyin_kid:
how come your last? getting too old for it?
why do you want a laptop on the mobot Somchaya?

Somchaya:
So,the main reason is because I want to do some vision on the robot, and buying a CMUcam is pretty expensive. Coupled with the fact that I don't have a microcontroller like Basic Stamp etc, I decided to go with a laptop. And, building such a robot potentially allows me to use it for a variety of things besides mobot, so that's a big plus.

However, building a bigger robot is harder I think, and I've not really built a robot with wood/plastic from scratch before, so right now I'm working on a small scale version to get the hang of it and also point out issues I'll need to look into before building a bigger robot.

So far it's been pretty fun (read: frustrating until it works) to experiment with building and playing with servos.

annoyin_kid:
if you want a cheap microcontroller try picaxe. its is dirt cheap and the programming software is free. the programming language is pretty easy to pick up.

Admin:

--- Quote ---how come your last? getting too old for it?
--- End quote ---
i plan to be traveling/living in Asia all next year ;D
and when i get back, pittsburgh might be far from where i choose to live . . .

--- Quote ---if you want a cheap microcontroller try picaxe
--- End quote ---
but microcontrollers suck at vision . . .

i never liked the CMUcam very much - ive built several robots with it and its only been a pain . . .
considered the AVRcam?
http://www.jrobot.net/Projects/AVRcam.html
its $100, cheaper than even the outdated CMUcam v1, but ive never used it before . . . looks better than the CMUcam . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version