go away spammer

Author Topic: Basic Axon Robot  (Read 1932 times)

Offline chris66634Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Basic Axon Robot
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
I was thinking of creating a robot that was remote controlled with a PS2 controller, or with hyper terminal. The wheels will have a gear system, and will also require a high amount of power. This robot would be outfitted with a laser pointer, and the laser would have fire-starting capabilities. What i don't know is how to regulate the amount of power to the laser. I was going to use a 19.6 volt battery i have created myself (ask if you want the design, it's completely safe), and i wanted to send 6 volts of that to the laser, but i don't know how to do that. Should i use a resistor, with a heat-sink, or should i do something in the programming to regulate the power? Thanks for the help.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Basic Axon Robot
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
You would use a voltage regulator, or if the current is to much for one, a few in parallel.
may i ask, if you only need 6v why use a 19v battery? It will make the regulator hotter and waste more power.
Look up LM7806 voltage regulator.

Also, if you need any schematics for ps2 remote control with the axon, dunk did that and the stuff is on this website.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:44:23 PM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline chris66634Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
I know the amount of power used in the robot may seem a little bit too much, wanted to be able to change the gears on the motor automatically (if such a thing is easily possible) and also the laser pointer would have a vertical motor that positions it, so that it isn't just limited to one 360 degree field of aim. This would use quite a bit of power altogether, if it was all being used at once (which i want to be possible). Maybe i could take out my current motors and substitute it with a not-so-heavy duty motor, so that i don't have to use gears to change the speed of the robot but this might detract from my over-all plan, which is to make it rugged. I think i could make it work. The programming should be altogether simple, because it isn't autonomous. Thanks.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
If the only reason you wanted gears was so you could change the speed of the robot then you could just use pwm to control the speed, it would all be in the programming and no need for mechanical gears.
So is what you are saying that the 19v battery is also to power the motors?
Howdy

Get Your Ad Here