Author Topic: Voice Controlled Robot source codes (2nd attempt)  (Read 2841 times)

Offline michealcollinsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Voice Controlled Robot source codes (2nd attempt)
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
I am still trying to figure out what to do with these demo source codes that I downloaded from the Voice Controlled Robot tutorial in Step 2 here:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Voice-Control-Robot-in-7-Minutes/?ALLSTEPS

I'm building the robot for a school project,  but I'm stuck.

The tutorial is excellent but assumes that everyone will know what to do with the source codes provided. I used the AVR Studio set up tutorial. Thats all set. But...in the provided Software file, there are about 20 different program files (ex hardware, makefile, VR Axon II demo, etc)...which of these do I use to program the robot? One of them? All of them? If I use all of them, then what order?

The tutorial says this site is the go-to for Axon II customer service. Please help, SOR!

Thanks =)

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Voice Controlled Robot source codes (2nd attempt)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
One problem at the moment is that Admin is currently in Thailand where he has a secret lab or something.  So he's been scare the last few weeks :/

In theory, giong through the code tutorial for the Axon 2 in general will tell you what to do, but I'm not going to double check that myself :)

Have you installed AVR Studio and WinAVR per the instructions, at least?

To quote your private message for others' info:
From my understanding, AVR Studio is used to debug the code, and WinAVR is used to actually compile it...and in my experience in downloading code to microcontrollers using Keil uVision, there was a hyperterminal that used the final hex file...which again, is something unexplained in the SOR tutorial provided.
WinAVR is the building blocks that AVR Studio uses, basically.  AVR Studio is where any coding is usually done, and also where the code is compiled.  To use AVR Studio for this do the following:
-Put all the files from that .zip you've already found into one folder. 
-If AVR Studio is installed, the VR_Axon2_demo.aps file should automatically open into AVR studio.  This is the AVR Studio project file...
-In AVR Studio, you should be able to open the VR_Axon2_demo.c file. It'll be listed in the Source Files folder.  Don't modify anything yet, though.
-In the build menu, select Build. (or press F7).  You'll get some output at the bottom... either indicating success or failure. 

Let us know what happens when you try these steps.  I might be missing something basic, namely that AVR Studio might need some configuration per the tutorials...

With properly compiled code, you can use FBOOT17.exe on non-64bit windows machines to load the created .hex file to the Axon 2.  I'm not sure why Admin gives instructions to use a hardware programmer on the Instructables...  Note that the .hex file can't have a THISISNAME.hex where THISISNAME is longer than 8 characters or FBOOT will cryptically fail.  Instructions for using FBOOT are in the Axon 2 tutorials, so I won't elaborate (I'd have to look it up anyways, so you can do that :D )

-Gert
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
Thailand huh? haha I have been there a couple times (Phuket and Pataya Beach). One word....Good Times! Oh wait...lol

Anyway, Thanks for the help!!! I actually tried a few things before you posted, and on a hunch, I used both the webbotlib and voice controlled robot files as by directories and libraries...then opened the VR demo in the source file section, then the hardware.h file in the header file section. When I built it, the build succeeded with zero errors...to say the least, i was quite pleased after that.

Now I think my next step is ordering the VR hardware and Axon II so I can get this project rolling.

Thank you again for your help!!!

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
A quick note on the Webbotlib project designer stuff.  Since I'm pretty sure that tutorial is older than the most recent versions of Project Designer, if you were to modify the project with Project designer, stuff might break.  The method to do instead is to put  the Project Designer project file in a new folder, open it in Project Designer, then Generate Code, and use the fresh .aps file.  You would need to convert the code in the original .c file into the new .c file, 99% of that should work via copy paste, I think.  Any modicum of programming knowledge should probably be enough for you to get it compiling again (good experience, too, for understanding programming with your Axon II...).

I mention this simply because I had problems trying to convert a project from Webbotlib V1.x to V2.x with project designer...

Webbot can stab me if I'm being foolish in the above x)
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! I didnt think I needed to use Project Designer to modify anything though.

Get Your Ad Here