go away spammer

Author Topic: Community Project: Scanning sensor module  (Read 10803 times)

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Re: Community Project: Scanning sensor module
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
Master just means it can take control of the bus and send a message. Slaves have to be told what to do. They wait for a master to send them a command and then they do what it tells them and either send back an acknoledgment that they did it or they give the master the data it asked for I.E. sensor data. Inside the OSCAR system an axon can be a master or a slave. That depends on programming.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
I know that
I was saying that the axons powers would come in handy as a master
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
axon doesn't really have much more in the area of powers for I2C as an roboduino... roboduino has a faster processor, little less memory and $90 cheaper...
and PS: this isn't the thread for this stuff. we need to keep it organized or it may fail again :o
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »
Axons would be a little too pricy.

Does a default "master" board have to be part of the project? Maybe one can be made but it would be great to allow different MCUs with I2C to communicate with the slave boards. This way people with experience can use whatever MCU they are familiar with to control everything.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
nope, axon was just a candidate because it was made by the admin..
any mcu with I2C should do fine..
hell even an atmega8 would do...
Howdy

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 05:54:53 AM »
axon doesn't really have much more in the area of powers for I2C as an roboduino... roboduino has a faster processor, little less memory and $90 cheaper...
and PS: this isn't the thread for this stuff. we need to keep it organized or it may fail again :o

Axon has the same speed as Roboduino, 16MHz!
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 06:32:38 AM »
maybe admin would give us a discount since this is SoR OSCAR

I Won!

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 06:39:09 AM »
heres an idea
dont know if this is possible, but could we make a mod (master) that has the ability to take inputs from a computer via a usb?
then we could make a simple program that has access to the USB port and via that port the I2C master gets signals, and based on thoes signals the master can carry out operations, be it changing a slaves address.
Quote from: Asellith
yes its called the axon  ;D
this is why I thought we should use the axon if you didn't catch this part
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:40:34 AM by dellagd »

I Won!

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02:11 AM »
Ok just to clarify the OSCAR was designed to work with the Axon. We chose our PCB designs to make it fit nicely with it because the dimmensions of the board don't matter that much but tailoring it to the axon benefits a lot of people.

NOW: The axon is not the only main controller possible. This system is very flexible. The main controller does not have to fit into the standard. I hope to see several boards that comply to the standard and include things like PICAXE, PIC, and even BASIC boards. The possibilities are endless. You could even use a computer. If you have a roboduino then use it. The only stipulation is you need to talk on the I2C bus. For some devices (I.E. Computer) an interface board would be needed.

The standard is designed to be really loss for a reason. We want everything to talk nice and fit nicely together but in the end the sky is the limit. If you want to see a feature then build it. The more modules we see the better. I would even like to see several versions of the same modules using different tech. Basically a AVR and a PIC version because most people stick with one or the other.

Just a side note. for a really complex design the system could support several controllers. So you could be processing video on a laptop while an axon controls sensor inputs and navigation with a few smaller units coordinating servos or something.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline hazzer123Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »
We should have variable length registers (whole number of bytes only though obviously). To execute a command, you just write to a register that has a length of 0 bytes. This should be standardised across the whole platform.

Examples of 0 byte length registers are "Save user settings to EEPROM" and "Reset module".

I think that, for thoroughness, the modules should have registers which contain the firmware revision number, a module ID (a unique number we give to each of the modules) and a module name (~16 byte ASCII null-terminated string which the user can overwrite).

More specific to this Scanning sensor module -
I think the storage of multiple look up tables for each possible sensor is silly. Changing of the sensor connected to the module will happen infrequently and so it is a waste to store the data. It would require an extra external EEPROM chip, and that is just unnecessarily complex. Instead the user will just have to use I2C or their programmer to send and store a single LUT on the MCU's internal EEPROM.

Another (closely related) idea was the module's own internal conversion between units (volts, cm, inches...). This is now unnecessary since if the user wants to convert to inches (i can't ever see them needing to do this while the robot is running anyway) then they just unload a new LUT to the module.

This module should also support sensors which output a pulse where the width is related to the sensor reading.

Do you think that LUTs are a good idea for the sensor data conversion? Or do you think we could use some more maths instead? Maybe we could approximate sensor characteristics with a polynomial. The ATTinyx5 series has 2 cycle multiply so this would be easily achievable. And all we would have to store in the EEPROM is a few coefficients. Actually i will look into this aswell, seems sensible :)

I will change the spreadsheet i posted earlier and re-publish it soon.

EDIT: Ooops i read the wrong datasheet. The ATTinyx5 series don't have hardware multipliers, ill have a look at the software implementations and see if approximating sensor characteristics is still possible with power series.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:51:40 AM by hazzer123 »
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline fiflak666

• Helpful? 0
  • My native language isn't english :P
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
hi guys, you're not the first who tries to build "Scanning sensor module"

I know two amateur-made robots that use this kind of stuff, both from Poland and both minisumo type

- Hunter
http://www.dioda.com.pl/forum/topics7/robot-minisumo-lowca-vt1756.htm
Robot Challenge 2009 Wien Łowca / Hunter 141 part1

- and mine, KISS 2 (still under construction); mine uses Atmega16, two Tower-Pro servos, two SHARP sensors and SPI/UART interface; looks like this:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:25:11 AM by fiflak666 »

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 06:37:36 AM »
Yes but we are the first to make it comply with a standard that hundreds of future modules will comply with :)
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »
yep, check out the original thread in the misc section...
Howdy

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
I think this project could make it big, like a revolution in robotics

I Won!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
that's what were hoping for ;D
Howdy

Offline hazzer123Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
Ok, so i have build a circuit using stripboard and im going to create software for the first prototype over the next few weeks (i have exams to study for too... so not much time to dedicate to this project right now).

It seems that for now this module will have to be a slave only, until i can either find code for the ATTiny85's USI which supports I2C with multimaster arbitration, or i write my own. The USIDC (Data Output Collision) bit in the USISR register may make this easy. But anyway, for now slave only will be fine and it should be easily extend-able..
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Get Your Ad Here

data_list