General Misc > Misc

robot bipeds (split from tutorial post - admin)

<< < (3/3)

Arislan:
This is an overly simplistic sketch of how I imagine the robot would be proportioned. I havent marked what some of those things are, but the "button" on the shoulders indicate inclinometers. There is also one on the head. The row above the eyes are a small sensor array. The eyes would be tiny video cameras. There is a grill on the mouth covering speakers. This is in case I decide to add a speech synthetiser.

Most logic circuitry would be located in the chest. Also the little boxes with the lightning symbol are batteries or fuel cells. The limbs are moved by servos of varying sizes. I think the legs and shoulders would have the largest motors. The robot has simplified claw hands. The arms are simply larger version of standard robot arms.

The only real oddity is the neck movement. I havent decided how to orchestrate that, but designing the head movements would be a challenge in itself....

Now to turn this simplistic idea into an actual robot, I would need to gather info on robot limbs and sizes of DC motors available. Then I could begin a more serious design of its skeleton, one that I could fit with the servos and motors.
Once the essential kinetics were designed, the more complex aspects could begin development.

Admin:

--- Quote ---As for the servos, have you any specific tutorials or links that show how to make a servo?
--- End quote ---
Nope, but if you put a encoder on a DC motor, use a timer and interrupts with a feedback PID control system, then you get a servo.
Oh, and also consider using a stepper instead. Might be easier . . .

Anyway, remember to keep your design as simple as possible. You might want to start your project just building a single leg. Then after running tests on the completed leg you can get a much better idea of what your robot is capable of (power requirements, control requirements, lifting ability, speed, etc.) I am not sure how many bots you have built, but if this is your first, your asking for a lot of headache . . . I would say this is very ambitious even for someone experienced . . .

Arislan:
My only difficulty is getting these parts in Brazil. This place truly sucks for finding anything considered "non-essential" to everyday life. I hate it here. But it's cheap livin'...that's the tradeoff.

I agree, and it was always my plan to start with a limb and go from there. Although I'll probably do an arm first instead of a leg. 

I've noticed that in smaller robots the limbs are usually just brackets with servos in them. But in something as large as my robot, I think it would require actual "bones" in the structural design.

Admin:
Yea I know what you mean, as Im considering moving to Thailand. Way cheap over there too, but technology is 5 years behind . . . expensive to get robot parts shipped over there too . . .

There is this huge place called Baan Maaw which is a perfect place to find scrapped electronic parts for anything you want super cheap . . . but again its all 5-10 years behind in technology . . . sigh . . .

Arislan:
I am considering giving up making a robot until I'm back in America. This country really sucks. There is no way to get anything here without paying a lot of import taxes, bribes, and some stuff that gets ordered simply disappears!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version