Author Topic: organic shape 3D CAD (free)  (Read 5426 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
organic shape 3D CAD (free)
« on: July 05, 2007, 11:42:02 AM »
For engineers we generally want square shaped parts, but what if you wanted organic shaped parts? The question of where to get free CAD has been answered in a million other posts, but none of those programs can handle organic shapes.

The beta is free:
http://www.cbmodelpro.com/about.html

There is also a
demonstration video.

If anyone has ideas on how organic shapes will be useful for a robot, speak up! All I can think of now is 3D printing aquatic robots . . .

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
Re: organic shape 3D CAD (free)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
Neat.  I suppose the program could be useful to create images for duplicates of a manufacturable robot kit. 

Or, perhaps to design a robot you want to look realisitic.  If you wanted to make a dog or something, you could formulate an 'organic shape' and print.  That is once you get the electronics down and do some research where to put the stuff.  Maybe to encase a robotic arm with some cool printed stuff to make it look like a real arm =P

It's interesting.  I don't see many practical uses.  The printing is probably expensive, etc.  I'd use it to customize parts, but this isn't the program to use for it, another CAD program specifically for designing parts. 

You could make some cool masks for robots to scare your neighbor's dog.   :o

Offline Sergius

• Helpful? 0
Re: organic shape 3D CAD (free)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
In the study of robotics, nothing is more useful than the ablity to accuratly produce organic shapes.
Robots created from inspiration that comes from the natural enviroment!
of course a major flaw in current robotics is that electronics and eletromechinical devices used in them are anything but organic. the brains are places on rigid, organized pieces of silicon.
With the current breakthroughs in printing, however it will soon be possisable to print circuet paths in or on the machines meterials. as well as accurately produce machines.

I'll look into this. what need to be done is the invention of a device capable of "organic" prototypeing. essentually the low-cost basement CNC or its equivalant.
Think, if such prototypeing were cheep, technology would advance much faster and much more efficiantly.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list