go away spammer

Author Topic: Depth Sensor programming with Beaglebone black  (Read 2468 times)

Offline AizenithTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Depth Sensor programming with Beaglebone black
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
So recently I've started on an AUV project and I've been searching for a lot of information and finally I needed some help.

I've gotten a DST Micron Echosounder from Tritech and connected it to a RS232 through a MAX232 IC..

Right now I'm stuck as to how I'm going to start on the programming, I'm using angstrom on the beaglebone black and python programming.

Help~

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Depth Sensor programming with Beaglebone black
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
What, specifically, are you actually trying to do, and what, specifically, is it that you're not successful at?

Offline AizenithTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
I want my auv to maintain a depth and i need to get the data out of the depth sensor but my programming is not very good so I do not know how to start on it.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
Are you planning on programming this in Python?
If so then install Python on your PC (Windows, MAC or Linux) and learn how to program with Python.
You can connect the Echosounder to the PC with RS232 (or a USB to RS232 adapter) and write all of the Python code on the PC.
Then move the Python code onto the BBB. The only changes you probable need to do is the Serial port  name.
Its "COM1" on Windows OS and "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/usbS0" on Linux OS.

One of the best feature of Python is that it is very portable among difference OSs. The same Python code will run under Windows and Linux.

Get Your Ad Here