go away spammer

Author Topic: Where to start with microcontollers ?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline ashourTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Where to start with microcontollers ?
« on: August 25, 2010, 03:56:04 AM »
Hi,
I'd like to work with microcontollers to be able to enhance my robots , but i don't understand how to start?

Also is there a sort of a microcontroller that can be programmed directly from a computer maybe via a usb cable and not having to buy its programmer? , because all programmers are beyond my budget.

This a link for where i buy electronic components please would someone tell about a convenient microcontroller for a beginner?
http://ram-e-shop.com/test11/index.php?cPath=21_23

What are the microcontollers kits? i've seen them on the electronics shop website , whats does they do and do i need one of them?

thanks

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
Re: Where to start with microcontollers ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:23:35 AM »
Well the first possibility if you want to build it yourself is the $50 robot micro controller. it is really cheap to build and a programmer is cheap if you have a serial port, but they are quite old and there are not many left especially on laptops. therefore you may need to invest in a programmer but the way to look at it is it is a one time buy and you can get one that will last a long time for $20. of course there are more expensive ones out there that can do more and are better quality but you can get some nice ones to start with that are cheap.

the $50 robot is a fantastic starting point for robotics, how many people on this forum started with hibby robotics.

Do you want to build a microcontroller from scratch or want a ready made microcontroller?

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »
You can use this ATMEGA8L-8PI to build it yourself with the SoR $50 robot.
You can also bulid your own Programmer like this

http://diy4fun.blogspot.com/2009/01/simple-serial-programmer-for-avr.html]Simple Serial Programmer for AVR[/url] using some common component ie. transistors, Zener diode and resistors.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
You can see some step-by-step description of the 6-pin version of this circuit here: http://circuitgizmos.com/wordpress/?p=452

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
like others have said avr is the way to go if you want to be able to stick a program on a chip and profit. if you want a more lego like approach (no soldering, simple programing and the ability to reuse parts) then the arduino is another way to go.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline collegerobotics

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
Go with arduino man. The best for beginners. If you know a bit of C++, then run through some of the tutorials on the arduino.cc website and you should quickly get a grasp of it and be able to apply it to your project.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list