go away spammer

Author Topic: new to programming.. suggestions please  (Read 2805 times)

Offline AurboTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
new to programming.. suggestions please
« on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Greetings again..

I'd guess I would be considered new to the PIC/AVR/etc  programming world.

I'l like some suggestions as to which language would be the easiest to begin learning with.

As for hardware.. I have a JDM enchanced programmer with Winpic800.  but I'm open to recommendations as what would be the easiest to learn.

I will likely stay with PIC's as my work has an ample selection I can tinker with as long as I dont smoke too many in the process of learning.

Cheers
Steve

Offline benji

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Re: new to programming.. suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »
I'l like some suggestions as to which language would be the easiest to begin learning with.

C is the best
good ol' BeNNy

paulstreats

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »
Definately has to be C.

Sticking with PIC's was a choice i made because if you mess up the fuse settings, they can be changed whereas if you do this with atmega's it seems to lock them up if you arent careful (from what ive read here. This is why ive not use atmega's)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:59:22 PM by paulstreats »

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:58:27 AM »
To each their own. I prefer AVR because the compiler is free and there's a lot of open code out there for RTOS and Libraries. But if you are brand new to programing, that won't make much difference to you right away, but once you get going it will enable you to do lots more, and even learn more.

On the language department, I love C. If it can't be done in C, it can't be done at all. That and C will teach a lot of things that you might not learn using other languages. In the end though, if you want a language you can use anywhere, from your Robot Project to the Linux Kernel, to Tractor Software (trust me on all that) C is the way to go.

So in summary: If you want to learn how to program, use C. If you want to get stuff done and don't much care for the programing, try to find something simpler, but remember it will most likely have limitations.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:15 AM »
To each their own. I prefer AVR because the compiler is free and there's a lot of open code out there for RTOS and Libraries. But if you are brand new to programing, that won't make much difference to you right away, but once you get going it will enable you to do lots more, and even learn more.

On the language department, I love C. If it can't be done in C, it can't be done at all. That and C will teach a lot of things that you might not learn using other languages. In the end though, if you want a language you can use anywhere, from your Robot Project to the Linux Kernel, to Tractor Software (trust me on all that) C is the way to go.

So in summary: If you want to learn how to program, use C. If you want to get stuff done and don't much care for the programing, try to find something simpler, but remember it will most likely have limitations.

agreed thats why I am starting to learn C   
up to now I've used PICBASIC and assembly language together
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

Get Your Ad Here

data_list