Author Topic: Control your robot using a TI-84 Graphing Calculator  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Control your robot using a TI-84 Graphing Calculator
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
I thought this was interesting. It uses the Send() and Get() commands that are built into the calculator to send and receive signals from the servos/bump sensors.

http://www.smallrobot.com/scimath.html

I'm not sure if they still sell them but I want to figure out how to make my own board like that!
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Re: Control your robot using a TI-84 Graphing Calculator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »
thats pretty cool :)  Could I program my calculator to control an SSC-32?

Bane

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »
I want that interface to a calculator but I want to build it myself. Any ideas how to go about that ?
 I think that I could trick the calculator into thinking its linking with another calculator and have it control it that way
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
I want that interface to a calculator but I want to build it myself. Any ideas how to go about that ?
 I think that I could trick the calculator into thinking its linking with another calculator and have it control it that way

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think, and correct me if im wrong someone, that the board it comes with has a BASIC II stamp on it. And the calculator sends a variable using the Send() command that is built into it. Then the board recives it and moves the servos/gets sensor input acordingly.

I was thinking, maybe make a microprocessor that has many I/O slots that can be controlled using commands on the calulator. That way your not limited to 2 bump sensors and 2 servos..
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-a-TI-Graphing-Calculator-into-an-Intervalomet/?comments=all

very simple hacking

its just send out information in serial( I think its serial)
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
Can you make a program in basic (not in a Basic compiler, just text) on a PC and then download it into the calculator?  (I hate typing on the thing :P)

Bane

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
Can you make a program in basic (not in a Basic compiler, just text) on a PC and then download it into the calculator?  (I hate typing on the thing :P)

Bane

They have a bunch of programs here...

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/win/

... but I haven't had any luck with them.

EDIT: A question for Admin. Do you NEED a BASIC II stamp to interact with a BASIC device? Or could I, for example, make my on Microprocessor that is used in the 50$ robot and add a 2.5mm Input jack that will send/receive Variables to and from the calculator?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:41:04 PM by Gordo4444 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
A question for Admin. Do you NEED a BASIC II stamp to interact with a BASIC device? Or could I, for example, make my on Microprocessor that is used in the 50$ robot and add a 2.5mm Input jack that will send/receive Variables to and from the calculator?
I'm not the only knowledgeable person here!!!

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by a 'BASIC device'. Device to device communication is based on some type of signal standard, such as TTL, RS232, USB, etc. It doesn't matter what devices are involved if both follow the same standard for communication. Its kinda like an arab guy and a chinese guy using english to communicate :P

The $50 Robot has a uart for serial - probably the same method of communication your 'BASIC device' will have.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »
A question for Admin. Do you NEED a BASIC II stamp to interact with a BASIC device? Or could I, for example, make my on Microprocessor that is used in the 50$ robot and add a 2.5mm Input jack that will send/receive Variables to and from the calculator?
I'm not the only knowledgeable person here!!!

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by a 'BASIC device'. Device to device communication is based on some type of signal standard, such as TTL, RS232, USB, etc. It doesn't matter what devices are involved if both follow the same standard for communication. Its kinda like an arab guy and a chinese guy using english to communicate :P

The $50 Robot has a uart for serial - probably the same method of communication your 'BASIC device' will have.

Haha, I know. I'm not sure what I meant when I said  BASIC device. I wasn't thinking clearly. The programming language for TI calculator's is BASIC but the processor on board converts into hex and the reads it. The TI calculator uses a 2.5mm audio cable as an I/O cord, Do you know what signal that it would use? Also, is it possible to add one to the Axon? I'm seriously considering buying one =D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
If you have an Axon, you wouldn't need a calculator :P

Anyway, some of the TI calculators aren't compatible. Whatever your model, look up the datasheet and see if it says something like '5 volt TTL compatible'. If it does, then its compatible with the Axon uart.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
If you have an Axon, you wouldn't need a calculator :P

Anyway, some of the TI calculators aren't compatible. Whatever your model, look up the datasheet and see if it says something like '5 volt TTL compatible'. If it does, then its compatible with the Axon uart.

Well, I know that. But having the ability to program in the field would be invaluable. I have a Ti-84+ SE. I'll check the datasheet when I find it... =\

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »
Quote from: Admin on Yesterday at 12:29:01 AM
If you have an Axon, you wouldn't need a calculator

I agree, but wouldn't be something to show all the chicks in calculus class!!..................... :D :D........... :P

Bane

Get Your Ad Here

data_list