go away spammer

Poll

Do you want the 'mark as read' button?

Yes
doesn't matter
No

Author Topic: 'mark as read' button permanently removed  (Read 2006 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
'mark as read' button permanently removed
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:38 AM »
I've permanently removed the 'mark as read' button. I've accidentally clicked it way too many times now, making it difficult for me to see which posts I have already read.

I know some of you love that button, but it drives me crazy . . .

Unfortunately the forum software doesn't let me remove it just for the admin . . .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:40:16 AM by Admin »

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: 'mark as read' button permanently removed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
I know some of you love that button, but it drives me crazy . . .
Is it possible to move button, say, to another corner? Or somewhere else? There has to be a way to mark all messages read, as some people (me for example) are interested only in certain topics, hence get rid of the ones that are not required.

Now, I had to click on each topic to make it "read", it is very time consuming.

Can You just rename 'mark as read' button to 'Admin, don't touch me!'?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
The reason why I click it is sometimes the page is still loading. I click NEW TOPIC.

But in the tiny fraction of a second that I'm clicking, all the buttons shift around as the page apparently hasn't fully loaded, placing that mark as read button right under my mouse . . .

This was the third time in two years it's happened, and it has no undo button :-\

The way I do things, I let it say 'NEW' for any topic I haven't read, most likely because I'm not interested in it. It let's me know I haven't read it. The next time I load up a category of the forum, I just look to the last post that hasn't been read.

You could also click the middle button of your mouse on all the posts you want read, loading them as tabs, then X them out. Probably about 5 seconds of being annoyed.

Ideally, I'd like the option to turn it off for admin and let users decide for themselves. But it requires a bit of programming to do it.

I put up a poll to see what other people think.

Offline KurtEck

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
:( - Yes I use this and now this is the only forum I monitor that does not have this ability.  Some have it everywhere, others only have it when you are looking at the top level (Not a sorted by New only, Unread...).  Often it is over to the side away from other buttons, which make it hard to hit by accident...

Kurt

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
Often it is over to the side away from other buttons, which make it hard to hit by accident...
hmmmm that might not be too hard to implement . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list