Author Topic: Wheelchair Motor Brake Question  (Read 2313 times)

Offline tzankoffTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Wheelchair Motor Brake Question
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »
Well, I have finished my robot upgrades including my implementing the installation of two wheelchair motors with the brake assembly removed. I have them hooked up to a 2x25 Sabertooth which is hooked up to my Axon II which has my code that controls speed and direction and all that. Everything so far works just great!

My question is this:
Is there a way I can spin the wheels freely without removing the locking pins from the motor shafts?

The wheels do not move when issuing a "stop" command in my program (like it's supposed to, which is good) and do not move when power to the Sabertooth is turned off (which is expected). I thought removing the brake assemblies would allow me to turn the wheels by hand when no power is applied, but that does not seem to be the case.

Is there anything I can do?

To some extent, I will not mind if this cannot be done, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

Offline tzankoffTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Wheelchair Motor Brake Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
Once again, it appears that I have fallen victim to my searching curse.

I tried using Google to get the answer to my question prior to posting here. After a couple of days of results that don't address my concerns (and there were a few regarding the motor other than the brake), I posted my question here. A little bit later, I did another search...and the answer magically appeared. Anyway, I found out about the manual brake release (which I honestly knew nothing about prior to now) and now the wheels spin freely. Hooray!

To everybody who read my prior post, I'm sorry for wasting your time.