Author Topic: Who keeps their robots?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline CanabotsTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    • Salmigondis Tech
Who keeps their robots?
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
There's been a question that I've always wanted to ask.

How many of you actually keep the robots you build? Do you keep the structure (aka chassis) of the robot and scrap the motors and controllers? Do you buy new parts for each robot? Or sometimes, do you just not keep it at all (take the salvageable parts and dump the rest)?

I'm know to be nostalgic, so sometimes I keep even robots which will never run again since I borrowed parts from school (like my REALLY simple hydraulic robot arm http://canabots.webs.com/hydraulicrobotarm.htm). I typically scrap parts and keep the chassis.

What about you?

Canabots
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:17:57 PM by Canabots »
My robotics, electronics, software, or other stuff blog:
www.saltech.wordpress.com

Offline wheagy

• Helpful? 0
Re: Who keeps their robots?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
Unless it's a multi-use kit like Vex or Bioloids, I keep all of them.  Very seldom do I scavenge parts from one to build another.  But they do start to pile up after a bit.  -- Win

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »
Well for my new design, i will be keeping the structure of it because i will be using it for many easy parts. I am using a two layer peace of plastic called, Lexan polycarbonate.

This is easy to cut but hard to brake, if you know what i mean, the base is good because it will be easy to take apart (just unscrew 4 screws) and it will be ready to mount for another robot! ^_^ Also buy in bulk...

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »
Hmmm. Don't think it will be re-used for all the reasons in reply to your other posts.

Build it first. Make it work. Prove me wrong (please!). Then post a video of how great it is. Then splatter the forum with your posts .

But while it is work in progress, just in your head, then let it be 'your secret' and keep it quiet. Who knows you may have discovered something mega important - none of us may have thought about a rectangle with a wheel in each corner. Doh!

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
i think his idea would work if the wheels on the front had the capability to slide around or if his motors are powerful enough to be able to push it around... I would simply add a caster or two Each where the two front wheels are
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »
Hmmm. Don't think it will be re-used for all the reasons in reply to your other posts.

Build it first. Make it work. Prove me wrong (please!). Then post a video of how great it is. Then splatter the forum with your posts .

But while it is work in progress, just in your head, then let it be 'your secret' and keep it quiet. Who knows you may have discovered something mega important - none of us may have thought about a rectangle with a wheel in each corner. Doh!

Ummm, that was my second time using SketchUp, and i am building it now i have alot of my parts including the base ready im recording everything now and soon i will post them all up when i am done and with pictures... Oh and its not a rectangle it has smooth edges and it looks really cool.

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »
i think his idea would work if the wheels on the front had the capability to slide around or if his motors are powerful enough to be able to push it around... I would simply add a caster or two Each where the two front wheels are

It is powerful enough to move it around its made out of light material...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »
Remember when posting to always stick to the OP topic (opening post).

I keep my robots . . . for spare parts hehe

(hey, its cheaper that way!)

Offline javafiend

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:20 AM »
I keep mine.  Of course I only have two, so they don't clutter up much.  One was a BEAM robot that sort of worked.  The other is my $50 bot that will continue to be upgraded.  Eventually I would like to have more that I've built and I will probably keep those too.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list