go away spammer

Author Topic: "El -cheapo" motors  (Read 3490 times)

Offline JoeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
"El -cheapo" motors
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »
I was just wondering, since in your article about dc motors (http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_dcmotors.shtml) you say:

Place small microfarad capacitors across motor leads to extend motor life. This works really well with noisy and other el-cheapo motors, almost doubling motor life. However there is much less improvement using this technique with the more expensive higher end motors.

Would you consider $25 motors low end and thus would they benifit from a small capacitor accross the leads or would that do more harm than good? Here's the motors I have in specific: http://www.servocity.com/html/193_rpm_gear_motor.html

Offline annoyin_kid

• Helpful? 0
Re: "El -cheapo" motors
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:26:07 AM »
nope, they should come pre installed but if you think they dont it wont hurt to put a capacitor across the leads. nothing will happen even if there is only one installed.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: "El -cheapo" motors
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
I bought two of those motors about 4 years ago. They are made by Hsiang Neng (Taiwanese company), and are just one step above 'el-cheapo.' A cap probably wont do much, but wont hurt. Id recommend putting one on.

What I hated about these motors is the mounting screw holes in the front (as you can see in the picture). The problem with the holes is that if you tightened a screw too tight in them, the motor jammed up and stopped working. I have no idea why they jam, but they do. This meant whatever I mounted to them had to be loose . . . I lost many a screw with these motors . . .

What I do like about them is that they are powerful and cheap.

Get Your Ad Here