Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Calculate velocity of movement

(1/2) > >>

kennykck:
Hi, i have a question. How do i calculate the velocity of the weighted object which is attached to the conveyor belt? Given that i have a Torque versus Speed graph for the motor. Thanks in advance.

paulstreats:
a quick way is to find the rpm of the motor, then multiply that by the circumference of the drive wheel, it should tell you how fast the belt is moving and therefore the object on it.

so if the motor spins at 40rpm and the drive wheel has a circumference of 12cm, then the velocity is 480cm per minute or 8cm per second.

An accurate way of finding how fast the motor is turning is to use an encoder wheel on it

kennykck:
So, the weighted object does not influence the velocity of the belt? OK then, what if i wanna know how long it takes to reach the top speed?

paulstreats:
The only time the weighted object should alter the speed of the motors is when the object is too heavy for the motor rating meaning that the motors havent been chosen properly.Calculate the torque you need to pull the object before you buy the motors.

The best way to find how long it takes for the motors to accelerate to top speed is to also use encoders in the wheels. If you pre-calibrate a top speed, just then set a counter when the motor starts and wait for the encoder feedback to become the same as the pre-calibrated speed

kennykck:
Err... i dont have any encoder. :-[
Is it possible to calculate the time anyway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version