Author Topic: In between Steppers and Industrial Servos  (Read 1373 times)

Offline davidhere40Topic starter

• Helpful? 1
In between Steppers and Industrial Servos
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
What would you use if you needed light weight motors (let's say 1/3 lb or less) that have long lifespans for an industrial application? They don't have to be all that strong. Maybe 60oz-in to max 150oz-in would be fine. I've been hunting for brushless servos that don't use potentiometers and around around $150 or less for a while and have pretty much given up on them. It seems there is no middle ground after steppers. Steppers will work, but they are often too heavy or too weak for an end-effector. The only solution I can think of is to use high-end brushed servo motors and hack them if they use a potentiometer. I can add my own magnetic encoder to replace the potentiometer and just control them like continuous servos. Can anyone recommend a servo at all?

Any thoughts?

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: In between Steppers and Industrial Servos
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
Steppers will work, but they are often too heavy or too weak for an end-effector.
AFAIK, stepper offers more torque than same size servo.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here