Author Topic: combat robots  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Team OrrTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • "whats that?" "its a giant robot part obviously!"
    • www.teamorr.com
combat robots
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
okay well...as a few of you know i compete in regular combat robot events across britain (i want to move to america when i come of age though...) so i thought id post a few videos of a few of my creations...

Robots Live Reading 09- Orrion v Puck v Toxic 2 v IA6

first up is my heavyweight robot "Orrion", Orrion (pictured here at the start in the top left hand corner and then proceeds to flip a robot out of the arena !) is equiped with 5 full pressure co2 rams and has a flipper and a deadly axe as its weapons, the robot cost over £3000 to build+upgrade+repair and is a popular robot on the scene today.

pure evil testing

and here is my featherweight robot "pure evil", evil is equiped with a deadly motoized axe and is armored in 12mm HDPE, it cost £1000 and is a feared robot although fairly new on the scene.

Donner Lift Test 2

here is my other featherweight robot "ministrom", ministrom is featherweight replica of the heavyweight robot "maelstrom" (see the resemblence in names now? hehe) ministrom has a actuated double sided lifter, this means he can lift both ways up without the need of self righting first, it cost £500 to build and can reach blistering speeds of +25mph...

Testing of Valliant

and last but not least is my antweight valliant, it cost £150 to build and is equiped with a motorized axe, it is driven by servos, powered by lipo's and weighs only 150g !

more to come soon!

jack
http://teamorr.com/
Jack Orr

"I appear to have built a robot with rather advanced artificial intelligence, with the emphasis very much on the bit in Asimov's laws about rejecting orders and going strange"...

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: combat robots
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
how did that axe turn out? i've seen antweights with axes before but since there's antweight bots made out of bullet proof plastic and metal it seems like it would be inneffective. also is there a cover for the exposed wiring?
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »

hi,

yes axes are ineffective, you cant really get somthing powerfull enough to do damage in the 150g weight limit...i tried a pneumatic axe one, was awsome and made nice holes...but left me 9 grams for drive, wheels, armor batterys etc (basicly all the electronics) that being said however it can still give you a nasty cut if it hits your finger (i know from experiance) and it does encourage the judges to give you the damage/aggresion marks if you have a sort of "Active weapon" rather than just a plain old rambot...

and yes, it does have a shell, its made of polycarbonate and titainium, you can see it slightly in the top of the frame for most of the video, and then you can see it fully towards the end when valliant pushes it around a bit  ;D id like to show you a picture but unfortunetly im about 400 miles away from the robot on holliday :/ will put one up when i get back...

jack
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:31:00 AM by Team Orr »
Jack Orr

"I appear to have built a robot with rather advanced artificial intelligence, with the emphasis very much on the bit in Asimov's laws about rejecting orders and going strange"...

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:53:34 AM »

hi,

yes axes are ineffective, you cant really get somthing powerfull enough to do damage in the 150g weight limit...i tried a pneumatic axe one, was awsome and made nice holes...but left me 9 grams for drive, wheels, armor batterys etc (basicly all the electronics) that being said however it can still give you a nasty cut if it hits your finger (i know from experiance) and it does encourage the judges to give you the damage/aggresion marks if you have a sort of "Active weapon" rather than just a plain old rambot...

and yes, it does have a shell, its made of polycarbonate and titainium, you can see it slightly in the top of the frame for most of the video, and then you can see it fully towards the end when valliant pushes it around a bit  ;D id like to show you a picture but unfortunetly im about 400 miles away from the robot on holliday :/ will put one up when i get back...

jack

you should make it walking. usually that lets you go double the weight :P

anyway have you ever made an autonimous antweight robot? i've been thinking of that as an option since it would be more of a challenge then an RC version (though it could be configured for both)
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
Those are sweet  :)
Where do you get funding? do you get sponsors?
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
i actualy had a walking robot for a bit... (those are the legs) it had a brushless spinner for its weapon...however like most walkers it was quite unstable/slow thus i prefer wheels...

however i am thinking of building a gyro-walker (the disk gets pulled left and right by servos and move the feet)...best seen here: Maker Faire 2010 Day 2: Warpig vs Gyrobot FINAL

it looks quite good...and should still be entitled to the weight bonus  :o the main point of valliants axe was simply the joy of having a moving weapon (it was back when i first started) and to perhaps swing the fight with the judges if we were against another rammer, its main weapon was really it's pushing power

i have a few really good sponsors, (that can be found on the sponsors page of my website wouldnt ya know  :D) including a cnc milling company and a plastic providor (which i still have to put on the site *mental note to self*) however most of the robots i finance myself, my father helps out where he can but usualy its me who puts in the cash/finds what parts are best. a summer job really helps! ^^

jack
Jack Orr

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
i actualy had a walking robot for a bit... (those are the legs) it had a brushless spinner for its weapon...however like most walkers it was quite unstable/slow thus i prefer wheels...

however i am thinking of building a gyro-walker (the disk gets pulled left and right by servos and move the feet)...best seen here: Maker Faire 2010 Day 2: Warpig vs Gyrobot FINAL

it looks quite good...and should still be entitled to the weight bonus  :o the main point of valliants axe was simply the joy of having a moving weapon (it was back when i first started) and to perhaps swing the fight with the judges if we were against another rammer, its main weapon was really it's pushing power

i have a few really good sponsors, (that can be found on the sponsors page of my website wouldnt ya know  :D) including a cnc milling company and a plastic providor (which i still have to put on the site *mental note to self*) however most of the robots i finance myself, my father helps out where he can but usualy its me who puts in the cash/finds what parts are best. a summer job really helps! ^^

jack

OMG will you merry me? actually forget it i just want gyrobot! anyway i've designed a pcb for my robot and am building a prototype on protoboard. nice robots you have btw!

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
thanks! ^^ post some videos when you get started! i dont mind other people posting their combot's here either!

oh yeah and heres a little somthing :

How to build a combat robot pt 1

How to build a combat robot pt.2

How to build a combat robot part 3
Jack Orr

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
How did you remove the friction clutch from the drill motors? I have a pair around(on AATV in my sig) And I'm having a hard time mounting the motors because of the frction clutch.
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
http://www.robowars.org/guides/guides-drill-hacking.html

this should help a bit, its the technique i use when i use drill motors, i also use the robochallenge mounts (http://web.me.com/robochallenge/Robo_Challenge___Robot_Wars_style_events/Robot_Shop.html) for mounting the motors to the base
Jack Orr

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »
Aye  8) I thought removing those two screws would open the gearbox, like I had done before..  ::)

So the grub screws will only cause friction to the drive train? Won't that just lock up the entire gearbox?  ???
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »
i don't know how i like the idea of using servos and microswitches in the last video to control a robot when one could just use a microcontroler to read the output from the controler

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
i don't know how i like the idea of using servos and microswitches in the last video to control a robot when one could just use a microcontroler to read the output from the controler
Whatever works, works...
He probably doesn't want to waste much time/money on the RC part, if he can just do it simple but effective it's good, I would never keep it that simple, and i'd like proportional control over on or off...
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
yes, the rc system in that last video is just a basic "bang bang" setup, its nothing perticualy special but it gets you moving. sooner or later however you will shred gears (unless you go for a metal geared servo or somthing) i usualy prefer to go with some type of speed controller i.e the vantec, sabertooth or wotty are all good brands.

also regarding drills, NEVER open drill gearboxs, no matter how hard you try you will never really get it completly back together again (as shown in the above link.

also, heres a video of a upcoming new kilobot robot:

180's First spin! ( half throttle)
Jack Orr

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42:54 AM »
how weighty is that thing  :o what class is it?

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »
it's a u.k kilobot (1.362 kg's) a new upcoming weightclass that has been pioneered by a few roboteers over here, its designed to look like the robot hypnodisk and is called 180 because its a smaller version of the robot 360 (which is also a hypnodisk clone)   
Jack Orr

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
I sure hope I didn't screw up my gearboxes, I did open them but never separated all the gears, you know they have that metal tube around all the smaller gears? I left that tube in place a just removed the plastic cover, is that bad? it got back together easily...
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
without actualy being there its hard to tell...but by the sounds of it you are one lucky dude  ;D

Building a fighting robot

not mine, but looks like a cool guide for u.s roboteers  ;)
Jack Orr

Get Your Ad Here