Author Topic: Locomotive style drive arm  (Read 3390 times)

Offline pomprockerTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Locomotive style drive arm
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
I am building a locomotive style drive arm, except that mine sends the power in the reverse direction. What I mean is the power comes from the wheel (rectified dc motor with wheel attached) and need to send a thrust down the linear drive arm.

I made the motor "flywheel" out of 1/4" thick hdpe that I mounted on the motor with a 5/8" shaft arbor adapter.

The first drive arm is going to be 3/8"-24 12" long threaded rod with a super duty ball joint linkage at the flywheel end.

I'm thinking a flexible coupler between the first drive arm and the second drive arm (3/8" to 1/2") since they're cheaper than a u-joint. and I only need bending back and forth one way. (does anyone know of a better coupler?)

then the second drive arm will be a 1/2" - 18" long precision shaft that will be guided through a Frelon lined pillow block instead of a linear ball bearing.

I pretty much know what I need to make this drive arm, but it's going to be expensive. I am wondering if anyone has any cheaper suggestions?

The motor is 1/4hp 500rpm 24ft-lb torque 130vdc gear motor. powered by a surplus treamill speed controller. (I think it might be PWM, but it could be SCR)

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
Re: Locomotive style drive arm
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »
To make it decent, it'll be expensive :/

Maybe you can find a model-train and hack it...
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Locomotive style drive arm
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »
Perhaps a 4-bar linkage?

Get Your Ad Here