go away spammer

Author Topic: Component pc board. HELP.  (Read 5214 times)

Offline NOOBinDistressTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Component pc board. HELP.
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »
Hello I bought a component pc board with 750 holes(bigger than tutorial, is that ok? Also I have a 15 watt solderer. What is the recomended wattage? Also what solder should I use in diameter because My radio shack does not go by gauge. I bought .62" diameter solder. Will that be good . Please help me. Thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Component pc board. HELP.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
hmmm. I still don't know if I should start with the current parts I have does anybody have a clue about what I should do. Thanks.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:52 PM »
you could use that board just start everything in one corner.

IDk about the solder. about how mamy mm is it?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »
The soldering iron is fine, no worries.  That's standard.

Your board should be fine.  I agree with ed1380 and you should start in a corner, you can cut the board down as you like if you wish to make it smaller.

I'm unsure about the solder.  I second ed's question.

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »
The solder is fine. 0.032" is better, but I did electronics for years with just 0.064".

I guess you guys don't know how to use a calculator, or maybe you don't know how to convert between imperial and metric. Here's a hint, mm to inches is 25.4. If you can't remember, ask Google (like everything else)

0.064 inches in mm

Google responds with:

0.064 inches = 1.6256 millimeters

Google can convert between all kinds of things, including temperature (F and C), many different measurement units, currency, etc.

- Jon

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
2.54 not 25.4  :P

The stuff I use is 1.5mm
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:32:27 AM »
I guess you guys don't know how to use a calculator, or maybe you don't know how to convert between imperial and metric. Here's a hint, mm to inches is 25.4. If you can't remember, ask Google (like everything else)

Also what solder should I use in diameter because My radio shack does not go by gauge. I bought .62" diameter solder. Will that be good .

Well, I would highly highly doubt they would make .62'' solder.  Considering the markings " after the .62 would mean inches.  .62 of an inch would be more than half an inch.  I don't think I've ever seen any 1/2 an inch solder around.  I didn't imply he missed a 0.

We have a wide variety of people in these forums from around the globe.  I thought perhaps he had a different measurement, or maybe he could clear up a mistake.  Or perhaps solder generated a new meaning for the " symbol.  I know conversion between two measurements, I didn't drop out of middle school.  I'd rather ask before I give him an answer with a possibility of being wrong and messing his whole project up, although solder diameter is fairly irrelevant.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:33:36 AM by nanob0t »

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:57:46 AM »
Ahh, good point. I just assumed he missed a zero, because I know that Radio Shack sells solder in both 0.064" and 0.032".

And inches to mm is 25.4. Inches to cm is 2.54.

Sorry, I'm just cranky from the general mood of the forums lately...

- Jon
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:58:35 AM by JonHylands »

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 01:37:44 PM »
hey, my bad  ;)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »
You are right, I missed the zero it is .062 ( I missed the zero). Thanks for the help though. Do you think if I started in the corner  and cut the board out I could use the other part of the board for another project. I can start in the corner right? It wont effect anything, right? ;D

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
Noob, I do this sort of thing all the time. I typically buy a large project board, and then cut it as I need it.

- Jon

Offline Jeff

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
The way I like to solder the diameter really doesn't matter unless I'm doing fine pith surface mount and tiny amounts are required.

The way I like to solder is:
Steady the board or component with my left hand. 
Apply liquid flux if I want everything to look perfect or if the components are tiny.
Pick up some solder onto the tip of your iron by touching the end of the unspooled solder with your iron.
Then hold the solder on the tip over the needed area and wait till I see the solder suface tension break and run smoothly over the area. 

I just wish someone had told me about this method when I first learned so I thought I would pass it on.

hope it helps

Peace
  Jeff

Get Your Ad Here