go away spammer

Author Topic: 5v power regulation  (Read 1368 times)

Offline ResilientTopic starter

• Helpful? 4
5v power regulation
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:22:41 AM »
I need to wire up a circuit to power a wireless webcam (DCS-920) via a battery.

I assume I need to regulate it because a battery is going to very its voltage with charge but I am trying to figure out the circuit. The specs on the website say:

Power   
•   External Power Supply: 5V, 2.5A
•   Consumption: 4.5 Watts Max

So, I assume I would need to be able to supply 2.5A, but that would be like 13W which seems a lot high, and it says consumption is only 4.5 Watts.

So do I need to make something that can handle 1 amp or 2.5 amps?

Would I be able to wire two of these 5V regulators in parallel to provide the amperage?

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=107

Thanks for the help. I lack knowledge when it comes to circuits. :P

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: 5v power regulation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
i would say rather use two in parallel to avoid burning one out.
but for the sake of ~35c you could try...
you could maybe try one with a big ass heatsink?
Howdy

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: 5v power regulation
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:12:50 AM »
Hi,

I assume I need to regulate it because a battery is going to very its voltage with charge
Yes, no question about it.

but I am trying to figure out the circuit. The specs on the website say:

Power   
•   External Power Supply: 5V, 2.5A
•   Consumption: 4.5 Watts Max

So, I assume I would need to be able to supply 2.5A, but that would be like 13W which seems a lot high, and it says consumption is only 4.5 Watts.

So do I need to make something that can handle 1 amp or 2.5 amps?
You could allways measure it to be sure, but if the specs are OK, it should mean that you only need to supply ~1A continuous.
The consumption is what the cam use, but the power supply is able to give 2.5A

Would I be able to wire two of these 5V regulators in parallel to provide the amperage?
One should be quite enough, current-vise, but you need to consider your battery voltage and the power the regulator have to dissipate.

A better choice would be an LDO regulator, as the 7805 will need to drop at least 3V, so the battery voltage would have to be 8V when flat - given a "flat voltage" of 0.9V/cell, it will take 9 cells, which equates to a 13.5V battery (with a start voltage of up to 14.8V).
Regulating 13.5V down to 5V gives a loss of 8.5V, so the loss will be 65.4% or almost 2/3 meaning that you need to supply 3 times the power that the cam needs.

With an LDO, the battery could be 6 cells, which is 9V (9.9V start voltage).
The loss will then be "only" 44.4%

The optimum would be a switch mode regulator, which could be made with a loss of 2% to 10%.

Using AA cells, the camera would keep for 2.5 to 3 hours with linear regulators. With a switch mode regulator, the runtime on a set of AAs will depend on the number and quality of the cells, but assuming a cell profile of 1.5V 3Ah and a 10% loss in the switcher, runtime will be around:

n * 1.5V * 3Ah * 0.9 / 4.5W

Where n is the number of cells.
(About 54 minutes/cell).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list