Author Topic: Need help with high current DC motor control.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline OP4500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need help with high current DC motor control.
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
As part of a class I am working with a small team to convert a jazzy power chair into a line following/light seeking robot. The problem I am running into is trying to run the two 24vdc CIM motors, I can't find exact specs but it seems they each draw around 30A  with a peak of 75A. I want to control the speed and direction using an arduino. The only speed controller I've found that could handle it is the Victor 883 or Victor 885, and those are too expensive. Is there a cheaper way for me to accomplish this? I want to seriously dial back the power on these motors because it moves too fast for the sensors to keep up, when hooked directly to power this thing cut grooves into the linoleum. The controller that came with the power chair was dead, which is why we got the whole thing for $100.

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Need help with high current DC motor control.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
I don't know what your budget is, but take a look at the Sabertooth 2x50 by Dimensions Engineering. 

Edit: What is your budget?

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
I want to seriously dial back the power on these motors

Start by running them with 12V source instead of 24V.
This will cut the current requirements of your controller.

Offline OP4500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
I don't have an exact set budget but probably under $200, just have to be able to justify it to my professor. I might try running them at 12 and see how well it works. We are using 2 12v lead acid batteries in series to power it. The group that worked on it last term ordered a lot of stuff and then burned it up because they didn't realize how much current the motors draw. The sabertooth is a little bit cheaper than the victors, and it looks like it does everything I need, might be able to get that, it would be ideal if I could find something used on ebay though. If I can run it at 12v maybe I could go for a sabertooth 2x25 which is a lot more reasonable at half the price. I'm going to test it out on tuesday and see exactly how much current it draws at 12/24 since I can't find the exact spec sheet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:13:31 PM by OP4500 »

Get Your Ad Here