go away spammer

Author Topic: Ethernet Atmel Controller  (Read 14155 times)

Offline dshellerTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Ethernet Atmel Controller
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
I know this question gets asked a good bit around here, and hackaday had an answer:
http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200611/embedded-webserver.shtml

That's the webserver tutorial, but it does link to the tutorial for getting the ethernet IC working with an atmega 88.

Offline emmannuel

• Helpful? 0
Re: Ethernet Atmel Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
I totally wana do this :D

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »
Me too.  Not sure what I would do with it, but I'm going to do it at some point.  That is super slick.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
So instead of running a web server on your PC, you could run a web server from you robot. That way you always have an interface you can log into on the robot. =P

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:59:47 PM »
easy way to control a robot from a phone or PDA with a web browser.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »
yeah. only problem is, ENC28J60 is a ethernet chip. Ethernet needs wire.
You'll need to convert the chip's output to wireless by connecting it to a wireless access point or something :/

I have a UDP/IP stack somewhere with ARP and PING implemented, written by myself. I wonder if a bootloader can be written of it. Atmels that would connect to a LAN and download their latest software is definitely fun.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline emmannuel

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
You'll need to convert the chip's output to wireless by connecting it to a wireless access point or something :/

I have a UDP/IP stack somewhere with ARP and PING implemented, written by myself. I wonder if a bootloader can be written of it. Atmels that would connect to a LAN and download their latest software is definitely fun.

izua how hard is it to learn how to make your own UDP/IP stack?  I've known all the theory behind it but always wanted to implement or work on it myself.
Do you know any good examples that one can use to learn?

I've thought of using the ENC28J60 to interface to a stationary robot or one that wouldn't move that far where the ethernet cable wouldn't be a real issue.  Like a data logging robot.

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »

i've been working on wireless reprogramming with bluetooth for a while now. cant seem to get it working right.  >:(

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 01:20:07 AM »
Check BSD or Linux for implemented TCP/IP and UDP/IP functionality. I'm sure they have been tested  ;)

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:51:58 AM »
i've been playing with packet crafters and internet books since 9, so it hasn't been difficult for me.
basically, you just need to know the underlying protocols. in the case of udp, you need udp, ip and ethernet (which, however, is handled by the chip). for tcp things get complicated, since tcp has several states, sequence numbers and moveable windows. i haven't yet dared to implement tcp on an atmega.

you do have to remember that udp is unreliable if you are using a crowded network (or sending packets from ethernet to wifi on your bot, for example).

as jesse says, bsd implementations are great, because they are open source and hardcore tested. you would need some intro in the protocols however. check out wiki for the OSI model and underlying protocols.

if you know the theory there's really nothing to worry about. just take an enc28 chip, make a preformatted packet (i made an udp one), and send it. you'll see it back in your computer. if you don't write a special application to capture the packet, i'd suggest using wireshark and filter the port you use. you can work your way from there, to switch mac addresses, make an ARP table on your chip, change IPs, change packet contents, recompute checksums.

i am interested in writing my own tcp stack (although i know other implementations exist) for use with the enc chip and an atmega. i would enjoy all the features of TCP, but that would require way more memory than any atmega has (fragmentation, buffers, windows). I think it's doable, though. Anyone else interested in this?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:53:06 AM by izua »
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline nouman

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
diffence b/w enc28j60/sp and enc28j60-i/sp
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »
hello i m new to enc28j60. i want to know what is the differnce b/w enc28j60/sp and enc28j60-i/sp

http://sample.microchip.com/Default.aspx?testCookies=true

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »
I'm too lazy to find a link, but I've seen cheap adapters you can buy to give your robot a webpage/ethernet access.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »
I'm too lazy to find a link, but I've seen cheap adapters you can buy to give your robot a webpage/ethernet access.

Better to build rather than just buy
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Why? I mean, is it better to make your own capacitors or servos than to just buy them? :P
It depends on your goals.

Offline dshellerTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »
If you're making HV capacitors for a tank circuit on a tesla coil it is waaaaaaaaaay more fun to make the Beer Bottle caps... cause you have to empty the bottles =)

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 06:09:19 AM »
I'll go with DIY here. it's way more fun do to a custom ethernet controller, 'cause you can learn about the underlying protocols.
Although, if you need an ethernet solution quick, a TCP/serial adapter is way better.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 07:15:52 AM »
Why? I mean, is it better to make your own capacitors or servos than to just buy them? :P
It depends on your goals.

Mmmm, YES, I'm a genius.... ( no insult )
As far as it stays in programming , yes, I do it myself...
I buy basic things like a programmer and such... Don't that I can not build one but as far as programmers goes, mama stuff is better...
If I need to experiment with a ATmega128 I won't buy an AXON... I'll build a board myself...

That's from me.........
Best Regards, Lefteris
Greece
For whom the interrupts toll...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list