Author Topic: Scroll saw - loud?  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Crunchy TheoryTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • "Well great is ok, but amazing would be great."
Scroll saw - loud?
« on: December 09, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
I'm thinking of investing in a scroll saw as I am looking to get some better quality cuts than what my Dremel tool is capable of. I live an apartment (no garage) and not having any complaints from neighbors when I'm using my heat gun or Dremel, I'd like to keep it that way. Some scroll saws (like the current DeWalt model: http://www.lowes.com/pd_93653-70-DW788_4294857525_4294937087_?productId=3069687&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Band%2BScroll%2BSaws_4294857525_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1) list quieter operation as a feature, but are they just loud in general even with this noise reduction?

I know "loud" is a subjective term, but at least compared to a Dremel at high speed? I figure it might be quiet enough since it's such a small blade, but it is an electric power tool afterall...

I'm only interested in using it for cutting HDPE, by the way. No wood or metal for me. So I'd probably only be using it at lower speeds.
The only way to top an upright screen, keyboard, and mouse is to eliminate the need for humans to touch a PC at all. Oh, hello there Mr. Robot... what would I like you to do, you ask?

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Scroll saw - loud?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:27 PM »
Scroll saws are among the "quieter" power tools, so your probably safe. However, keep in mind that most of the sound created when using a cutting power tool occurs when the blade come in contact with the material you need to cut.  I dont know what cutting HDPE is like, as i have never used the material.  But i can tell you that cutting Polycarbonate sheeting (which I believe is a harder and more brittle material than HDPE, correct me if I'm wrong) is very noisy...at least on my bandsaw...

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:31 AM »
Hi,

Don't worry, those small scroll saws are quiter than a Dremel - at least mine is (different make). You could add some damper material under it, to avoid vibes transferring into floor wall, but in general, they are very unproblematic and neighbor friendly.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
Excellent, thanks for your response guys!
The only way to top an upright screen, keyboard, and mouse is to eliminate the need for humans to touch a PC at all. Oh, hello there Mr. Robot... what would I like you to do, you ask?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
My scroll saw is about as loud as my Dremel at max speed.

Make sure it has a solid mount to your table that doesn't vibrate, and the sound will be minimal.

Offline T0110100101101101K

• Helpful? 1
    • Put your brochures to work for you!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »

I'm only interested in using it for cutting HDPE, by the way. No wood or metal for me. So I'd probably only be using it at lower speeds.

Even with a high tooth count blade you can still suffer chatter marks if you go to fast through 1/2" HDPE.  HDPE is very soft and it melts easy, so depending on the thickness you may be able to use metal-cutting shears (for superior stealth).  If you have the money, you could get a CO2 laser.  Laser warning signs will keep your neighbors at bay.  ;D
A robot could do my job...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »

Even with a high tooth count blade you can still suffer chatter marks if you go to fast through 1/2" HDPE.  HDPE is very soft and it melts easy, so depending on the thickness you may be able to use metal-cutting shears (for superior stealth).  If you have the money, you could get a CO2 laser.  Laser warning signs will keep your neighbors at bay.  ;D

Hmm... a laser, eh....  ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list